Flex your mental muscle at quiz night
• Presented by visiting scientist Jim Wetterer, associate professor at Florida Atlantic University, Them! World Domination by Ants will take place on Wednesday, May 10. Jim's research interest is the biogeography, ecology, and environmental impact of ants. While in Bermuda, one question he hopes to answer is what ant species are associated with Bermuda's mangroves. On previous visits to Bermuda he studied and documented the island's ant species, and wrote about the vanished plague ants of 19th century Bermuda. His talk will be about his research with native and exotic ants around the world, and of the epic war between two dominant invasive ant species that have been battling each other for ecological supremacy in Bermuda for more than 60 years. This event is open to the public and space is limited. Entry to the lectures is free, although a donation of $5 is gratefully accepted. To secure your spot, visit www.bamz.org and register online. For further information please contact Lisa Greene at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (441) 293-2727 ext. 2123.
• The Bermuda Chamber of Commerce invites you to the Lili Bermuda flagship store on Front Street for a fragrance/cocktail experience at Business After Hours @ Lili Bermuda on Thursday, May 12. From 5.30pm until l7.30pm, Lili Bermuda will be pairing three refreshing summer fragrances from the Water Collection with an exotic summer cocktail. The Water Collection is a fragrance trio inspired by Bermuda, created and hand made at the Bermuda Perfumery in St. George's. There is no cover charge but reservations are required. You are invited to RSVP at http://ow.ly/4n7GU6 by May 10 to reserve your space. For more details, contact 295-4201 or email@example.com
• Promising another lively and thought-provoking evening, PechaKucha Bermuda is hosting its 15th Edition on Thursday, May 12. From 6pm until 9pm at Bermuda Society of Arts, different presenters will speak on a subject they are passionate about. PechaKucha Bermuda Nights are a simple, effective and entertaining way of telling a story or idea. Each speaker shows 20 images to accompany their presentation, each image the speaker can only speak for 20 seconds. Since there is no pausing or going back, speakers have no choice but to keep to their allotted time. Following each presentation is a 3 minute 20 second question and answer session where the audience has the opportunity to ask the presenter questions. There is no cover charge but donations will be accepted to support the Bermuda Society of Arts and Channel 82. For more information, please visit the PechaKucha Bermuda Facebook page, or contact Nicky Gurrett at 295-4597.
• Flex your mental muscle to win some prizes at the Caledonian Society of Bermuda's Fundraising Quiz Night on Saturday, May 14. Hosted by Quiz Master Mike Bishop, the evening will begin with dinner and drinks from 6.30pm, followed by the quiz itself at 7.30pm. There will also be a raffle, and a special pub dinner will be available for purchase. The pub dinner will be buffet-style and will include an appetiser salad and chicken pie, beef pie and vegetarian pasta for mains, with two desserts. The cost for the quiz is $50 per team, for teams of up to four people, and tickets can be purchased from www.pTix.bm. The dinner costs $25 per person and should also be purchased in advance at www.pTix.bm. For more information, contact CalSocBDA@gmail.com
• Join Josian Maybury for her Album Release Gospel Reggae Concert, Speak to me Lord on Saturday, May 14. From 7.30pm in St. Paul's Centennial Hall, this concert will also feature guest artists, BIG Snipes, Rickeesha Binns, Septimus, Whopper Benz, Jaedyn Clarke, and The Anointed For Praise Dance Warriors. Tickets are $30 for adults, $20 for children aged 12 and under, $50 for patrons, and are available from Music Box, Fish ‘N Tings, Misty's Take Out and Green Lite. For more information, contact Josian Maybury at firstname.lastname@example.org
• Designed to help support active lifestyles and raise awareness of heart disease and diabetes, the Family Fun 5K promises to be fun for the whole family on Sunday, May 15. Starting at 8am, participants will depart Barr's Bay Park, head all the way down Front Street and turn left on King Street. They will then turn left on Church Street, up to Victoria Street via Parliament St, all the way past City Hall and left onto to Wesley Street back down on to Church Street. Then, they'll turn right on Church Street and right again onto Richmond Road, all the way to Rosemont Avenue, which will take you onto Serpentine Road. You will then go left on Serpentine Road which will eventually take you to Pitts Bay Road. Finally, walkers will turn left on Pitt's Bay Road and head back to Barr's Bay Park. The route is approximately 5K and this event will not be chip-timed. There will be healthy snacks at Barr's Bay Park at the end of the walk. Volunteers are needed. If interested, contact email@example.com. The entry fee is $25. Registration will be available on the day of the event and all donations are appreciated. Proceeds will support the Bermuda Heart Foundation. For more information, contact race director Sionna Barton at firstname.lastname@example.org or 232-2673.
• The Centre on Philanthropy invites you to bring your family and friends to experience the joy of volunteering at the Allied World Family Community Day on Sunday, May 15. From 1pm until 5pm in Victoria Park, this free community event promises to be an afternoon of fun, food, activities, face painting with entertainment by Bermuda Latin Vibes, Jump2BFit, Gombey Warriors and more. Bermuda's outstanding Youth Volunteers will be recognized and students can earn up to two community service hours by participating. Attending charities will present project and information booths where families can learn about their causes and volunteer opportunities and even complete a volunteer project on-site. Children engage in compassion and community awareness and together build the foundation for volunteerism through the next generation. This event is free for all ages. For more information, contact 236-7706, or visit www.CentreonPhilanthropy.org
• For full events listings and flyers, please visit www.NothingtodoinBermuda.com. The above is abbreviated content from that site. If you would like your event included on the site, please go to the Submit Your Event section and add all the details and flyer