Bermuda Shorts
New stickers will help fishermen stay within the lawStickers have been produced to help fishermen adhere to new regulations covering issues such as minimum sizes for fish, bag limits, protected species and lobster diving.Other rules outlined on the stickers include requirements to land all fish with the skin on, and land regulated species whole.New fishing regulations came into force last year.Senior Marine Resources officer Tammy Trott explained: “The stickers are also a measuring device and are designed to be stuck directly on a cooler so that fishermen have a ready means of determining the size of the fish that they catch.“It is our hope that people will utilise these stickers to measure their fish and subsequently release any fish that do not meet minimum legal sizes. This will allow more fish the chance to reproduce and replenish our fish stocks.”The stickers are available free of charge at the Environmental Protection offices in Coney Island and the Botanical Gardens, and at the stores Marine Locker, PWs Marine and Fly Bridge Tackle.Burglar hits Salvation Army thrift storeThe Salvation Army will be taking extra safety precautions after its thrift store on King Street in Pembroke was burgled.Major Shawn Critch admitted he was “surprised” to learn of the break-in, but said luckily not much cash was taken and there was only minor property damage.He said: “Obviously I was surprised but I also realise these things happen within the community and no one is immune from being a victim of a break and entering.“We just have to make sure we take the necessary precautions to prevent that as much as possible in the future and staff have done a few things to help with that.”He could not comment in detail as the matter is under police investigation, but maintained there was no serious financial impact on the charity’s operations.A police spokesperson said the thrift store was burgled sometime before 10.15am on Wednesday.“It appears that an unknown subject gained entry into the store and stole a quantity of cash. “Inquires into this incident are underway.”Blackberry taken in Warwick burglaryA Warwick home was burgled and a Blackberry cellular phone was stolen.A police spokesman said the incident happened sometime between 8.10am and 2pm on Tuesday at a home on Jones Village Lane in Warwick when an unknown culprit gained entry to the property.Police continue to investigate the incident.HRC offices moved to the Dept of Human Affairs until January 19The Human Rights Commission will be closed until Wednesday, January 19, while an abatement process is completed.Staff must be kept out of the area for health reasons while work is carried out, according to a statement from the Ministry of Youth, Families, Sports and Community Development.They will work from the Department of Human Affairs until the premises reopens in two weeks.HRC can still be contacted on 295-5859.
