Trying to cash in after hotel closure
A handful of former Marriott Castle Harbour workers have been coming out of the woodwork to try and cash in on redundancy packages from the hotel.
A few people who worked at the resort for a time in the past have made inquiries about severance pay -- even though they are not entitled.
And other staff who lost their jobs when the hotel closed at the end of last month have complained that their cheques did not reflect the time they had spent at the site.
Payroll administrator Karen Santucci said there was confusion amongst many people who had worked at the Marriott at some point, many of whom mistakenly believed they were now due cash.
Ms Santucci and other accounts staff left at the property have received many calls from ex-employees in the two weeks since closure.
"People have been calling up, people are trying to get on the bandwagon,'' she said. "We have had people who have been around for six years but only worked for three months, then disappeared and come back.'' The calls have meant they have had to explain to people how the redundancy system works, with the result that almost all are satisfied with the explanation.
"The majority understand,'' Ms Santucci said.
Only those who were working in a full-time or part-time position, for longer than one year, at the time of closure were eligible for redundancy.
People who had worked but quit before November 30 are not included and those who have been in "on call'' positions where work is occasional are also excluded.
One worker said she was upset at the compensation she received, after working from 1993 to 1998, and then returning to work in two different departments.
The woman, who did not want to be named, said she believed staff should have been compensated for the total time they spent working for Marriott.
But Ms Santucci said the time between 1993 and 1998 did not count because the woman quit the hotel.
And she added that when she returned she was working on-call, which was not considered full-time employment.
