Log In

Reset Password

Youth activist opposed to Springfield plan

A Sandys Parish youth campaigner has hit out at Government over the soon-to-be-opened $700,000 community centre.

Gerald Fubler, who ran a club for youngsters at Daniel's Head until recently, said he believed the facility was in the wrong place and will lead to trouble for the organisers.

He warned the Springfield community and youth centre, which is due to open by early July, will prove unpopular with locals and could attract an unruly element.

Mr. Fubler admitted he was angry at officials after disbanding his own youth group held at the former Canadian forces buildings on Daniel's Head.

And he said he will not set foot inside the new venue, claiming that many of his own group will also not attend Springfield.

He lashed out at Sandys Parish MPs, who he said were out of touch with what the local community wants.

"They think they are doing something good, but they are doing more damage than anything else,'' he said. "I don't think it is going to work. It is in the middle of two negative areas. There could be a bad influence. I don't care what they put up there, there is no control, anything can happen.'' A senior Progressive Labour Party source, who would speak only on condition of anonymity, said officials were keen to get Mr. Fubler on board, but added it was time for him to meet them halfway.

He said the project had already been started under the former United Bermuda Party Government when the PLP came to power, leaving them with no choice but to carry on with the work.

Last Friday, in the House of Assembly, PLP MPs praised the project and said it could become a community focal point for Sandys.

MPs agreed a 99-year-lease with landlords, the Bermuda National Trust, for $1 a year.

The Senate yesterday aproved the lease.

Interior work is now being completed and when open it is anticipated that the centre will allow Sandys youngsters, adults and seniors to mix.

But Mr. Fubler said he believes the entire site should have been turned over to just the youngsters in its pre-renovation state -- saving the Government several hundred thousand dollars -- for locals to do up.

He also attacked the programme, which he said is linked to a community centre at Boaz Island, which will involve youngsters travelling between the two sites.

During the House of Assembly debate on the centre, Opposition Leader Pamela Gordon stressed that it should be made clear to the community that acts of vandalism would not be acceptable at the 18th Century listed building.

Youth and Sport Minister Dennis Lister called upon the community to rally round and come forward with any concerns they had about the use of Springfield.

But, he refused to comment on comments made by Gerald Fubler.

A door was damaged in a part of the Springfield building after a concrete block was thrown at it over the weekend.

Glass panes were broken in the double door during the incident, which was discovered on Saturday morning by a security guard. The vandalism took place in a part of the building which is not part of the current renovations.

HOUSE OF ASSEMBLY HOA