Tragedy as US tourist, 79, dies while snorkelling
A 79-year-old cruise ship visitor died on Sunday after slipping into an unresponsive state while snorkelling off the West End.
Meyer Shipping confirmed that the man was a US citizen, visiting on the Carnival Fantasy.
The victim was part of a tour group and swimming approximately a mile offshore at the time of the incident.
Police said the man was taken ashore and attended to by EMTs, but pronounced dead by a physician at 12.55pm.
The circumstances are not considered suspicious, but an autopsy is expected.
A tour boat operator yesterday called the incident a tragedy, but said he hadn't heard the details of what happened.
“Sometimes all the training and the precautions in the world just don't make a difference,” he said.
Carnival Cruise Lines said the victim's family was being comforted by a guest care team.
The Fantasy, which set out from Charleston, South Carolina, arrived at Dockyard on Saturday.
2. Please respect the use of this community forum and its users.
3. Any poster that insults, threatens or verbally abuses another member, uses defamatory language, or deliberately disrupts discussions will be banned.
4. Users who violate the Terms of Service or any commenting rules will be banned.
5. Please stay on topic. "Trolling" to incite emotional responses and disrupt conversations will be deleted.
6. To understand further what is and isn't allowed and the actions we may take, please read our Terms of Service