BBC to make clear how to pick up free service
The Bermuda Broadcasting Company intends to broadcast public service announcements about how to get their service after complaints that they have not been broadcasting.
While one viewer told
The Royal Gazette that she has received only one of the broadcaster’s two channels, BBC CEO Rick Richardson said the company has broadcast CBS and ABC in both analogue and digital formats for more than a year.
A reader recently contacted this newspaper stating that, despite repeatedly contacting the company, she has not received CBS by broadcast since a BBC antennae was damaged more than two years ago.
Mr Richardson said the BBC had invested in digital broadcasting equipment more than a year ago, and have been broadcasting ever since.
“As is the case in the rest of the world, we went with a totally new digital transmitter and have both of the BBC channels in the clear (meaning free to air terrestrial) at this time,” he said.
“For the new digital televisions, one only needs to purchase a UHF antenna, use their remote control and scan the channels into the television and they will receive clearly two digital channels with a picture better than the old analogue and comparable to the best cable signals.
“Further to this if a person has an old television the electronic store will sell them a small conversion box about six inches long that would take the digital signal and convert it back to the old analogue. Still they will receive both of our channels.
“Many people, who do not have cable service, or WOW, are watching our channels in digital and analogue.
“In the next week we will be broadcasting a Public Service Announcement to let the general public know how they can receive our channels that have been there for more than a year.”
2. Please respect the use of this community forum and its users.
3. Any poster that insults, threatens or verbally abuses another member, uses defamatory language, or deliberately disrupts discussions will be banned.
4. Users who violate the Terms of Service or any commenting rules will be banned.
5. Please stay on topic. "Trolling" to incite emotional responses and disrupt conversations will be deleted.
6. To understand further what is and isn't allowed and the actions we may take, please read our Terms of Service