New taxi spaces not popular with everyone
Two new taxi spaces have been added to Church Street outside of the MarketPlace supermarket.
The Royal Gazette understands the bays haven’t been popular with everyone — a number of bike riders said the cabs blocked them from parking on the cycle ramp by the store.
The City’s chief operating officer Edward Benevides said the City had been contacted by two taxi companies asking to put in the waiting spaces.
“The City Engineer assessed the area and looked at the feasibility of accommodating the request. It was determined that adding the spaces was safe and provides another location in the city for passengers to quickly and easily get a taxi.”
Mr Benevides continued: “Putting in the spaces has eliminated a practice which has been in place by cycle riders of parking on the side walk. This was a dangerous activity and could have potentially led to the injury of pedestrians.”
More cycle bays would be added along Church Street to accommodate parking demands, he said.
2. Please respect the use of this community forum and its users.
3. Any poster that insults, threatens or verbally abuses another member, uses defamatory language, or deliberately disrupts discussions will be banned.
4. Users who violate the Terms of Service or any commenting rules will be banned.
5. Please stay on topic. "Trolling" to incite emotional responses and disrupt conversations will be deleted.
6. To understand further what is and isn't allowed and the actions we may take, please read our Terms of Service