Drunk driver banned for three years
A Pembroke man has been banned from the roads for three years after he was found to be almost four times over the alcohol limit.
David O'Brien, 58, was seen driving west on Kindley Field Road by an off-duty police officer, who noticed that his car was swerving into the east bound lane and almost collided with an oncoming vehicle, on December 19.
He was stopped by police officers at the junction of Knapton Hill and South Road in Smith's where officers observed he was unsteady on his feet, his eyes were glazed, and his breath smelled strongly of alcohol.
He was taken to the Hamilton Police Station where he failed a breathalysing test.
The lowest reading showed that he had 316 milligrams of alcohol in 100 millilitres of blood, almost four times the legal limit of 80 milligrams.
Magistrates' Court heard this morning that O'Brien had been taken off the road until June, 2013 for the same offence.
O'Brien told the court: “I am addicted. I need help. I will go to rehab and come back in six months.
“First thing in the morning I have to drink to stop the shaking. I need help.”
Disqualifying O'Brien from driving all vehicles for three years, magistrate Khamisi Tokunbo said: “You in particular need to be kept off the roads — you're a danger.”
Mr Tokunbo set bail at $2,000 and ordered a social inquiry report and a drug assessment.
The matter was adjourned to February 10.
• A Sandys man was fined $800 in Magistrates' Court this morning after he admitted causing a road accident while driving on Middle Road in Southampton on October 3.
Odell Smith, 31, pleaded guilty to driving without due care and attention.
The court heard that Smith was riding a motorcycle when he collided with the car in front of him, which had stopped at a pedestrian crossing.
Smith fractured his right leg and the complainant's car suffered $1,755 in damages.
Magistrate Khamisi Tokunbo fined Smith $800 with 80 days in prison in default of payment.
He also received ten demerit points.