Business snowballs as new kiosk proves a hit
If you have been in Church Street in the summer heat, you may have seen the crowds — Snowy's is back and it is bigger than ever.
The self-proclaimed makers of the “world's fluffiest snowballs” has quickly found a home in the heart of Hamilton after moving from their famous store on Princess Street.
With hundreds of customers lining up at lunch time and after work to cool down with the popular summer treat, The Royal Gazette visited Wesley Square to see what all the fuss is about.
Customer Barbara Flint, 85, explained why the new location may be such a hit.
“You don't have to walk far in all this heat — you can get straight off the bus and get one,” she said.
“I think moving was a gorgeous idea!”
Her friend Violet Johnston, 81, said: “It's a lovely place to sit off and relax and have a snowball. Plus, the staff are very pleasant.”
Employees Lashay Hollinsid, Kaelin Cox and Zakary Nzabalinda said they have enjoyed the rush of snow cone fans.
Mr Cox said: “The thought process behind the move was better business. The Corporation of Hamilton finally got back to the owners and said that we could have this spot. So we ordered this kiosk and set it right up.
“For now this is the only location but business has been really steady since we have been here.”
Mr Nzabalinda said despite the new spot's popularity a lot of people miss the old Snowy's locations across the Island.
“Business has been really good but it can be better if we had more stalls,” he said.
“Last year we had locations in town, Warwick, the Causeway on Sunday as well as Harbour Nights, but we're unable to do that this year which is unfortunate.”
Ms Hollinsid apologised for the long wait but assures patrons that it is worth it.
She said: “Sometimes the customers can be a little upset waiting in our long lines in the heat but as soon as they get their snowballs, their faces turn from a frown into a smile. We love that.”
2. Please respect the use of this community forum and its users.
3. Any poster that insults, threatens or verbally abuses another member, uses defamatory language, or deliberately disrupts discussions will be banned.
4. Users who violate the Terms of Service or any commenting rules will be banned.
5. Please stay on topic. "Trolling" to incite emotional responses and disrupt conversations will be deleted.
6. To understand further what is and isn't allowed and the actions we may take, please read our Terms of Service