Family’s disbelief at industrial accident death
Gabriel de Oliveira, the 62-year-old man whose life was claimed in an industrial accident at the Pink Beach Hotel site, has been remembered as a hard-working family man who will be deeply missed.
“He loved his cars and motorcycles and worked hard in construction,” recalled Mr de Oliveira's cousin Louis Gabriel Fernandes. He said Mr de Oliveira and his wife Maria, married in 1973, had been “a great couple”, adding: “He worked hard for those three children and Maria. I'm going to miss seeing him.”
Mr Fernandes, a retired sergeant in the United States Army, said his cousin's sudden death on July 29 had left him in disbelief. He and Mr de Oliveira had both grown up as assistant masons, helping their fathers over the weekends on construction projects. Along with Mr de Oliveira's future wife, the two attended the Whitney Institute together.
Fond of motorcycles, Mr de Oliveira had held on to a modified Cyrus moped, “Blue Max”, that his cousin had left to him, Mr Fernandes added.
2. Please respect the use of this community forum and its users.
3. Any poster that insults, threatens or verbally abuses another member, uses defamatory language, or deliberately disrupts discussions will be banned.
4. Users who violate the Terms of Service or any commenting rules will be banned.
5. Please stay on topic. "Trolling" to incite emotional responses and disrupt conversations will be deleted.
6. To understand further what is and isn't allowed and the actions we may take, please read our Terms of Service