Raising funds for fatherless
Scores of footballers and fans gathered at T.N. Tatem Middle School to raise funds for children left fatherless by gun violence.
The annual Hood 2 Hood event went ahead on Saturday morning just hours after father of two, Jason Mello, was shot dead in Pembroke. Organiser Timory Flood said that the fatal shooting made those behind the event even more determined to ensure that it went ahead.
“It just made us feel that what we were doing was that much more important,” said Mr Flood.
“We had people calling us in the morning asking if the event was still going ahead because tensions were high.
“But we had to say we are not going to turn back now. If we pack up and don't have the event how is that going to help the children it is designed to help?
“We took the initiative and asked for a police presence. They were on hand throughout the event and it all went very smoothly.”
More than 60 footballers took part in the anti-violence football tournament, while more than 200 members of the public turned up to show their support.
Mr Dill said he hoped the event would raise $1,500 that would go towards community activist Gina Spence's Champion's Programme, which is designed to support children left fatherless by gun violence.
“This is the second year we have held this event,” Mr Flood said.
“Last year the funds went towards the treatment for my uncle Kacy Simons who had been diagnosed with cancer.
“Kacy passed away in December and so we started looking for a new project where the funds could be sent.
“The Champion's Programme was very much in line with the anti-violence theme we had started with at the beginning so we chose to support this very worthwhile cause.
“I want to thank this year's sponsors: Security Associates Ltd, ASW Law, Inferno Lounge 2, Open Your Heart Foundation, Mini Max Forwarders, Ascendant Technology Ltd, Barritt's, Island Construction and BTC.
“Given the circumstances it was a good day.”