Log In

Reset Password

New tourist experiences win BTA support

The Bermuda Tourism Authority is offering funding to 23 new home-grown experiences next year.

Among the proposals approved through the Tourism Experiences Investment Process are a dune buggy tour, a water trasportation app and the Bermuda Triangle Beach Experience at Clearwater Beach.

Meanwhile local food and culture will be highlighted with Sip & Savour Bermuda Food Tours and Wild Herbs N Plants of Bermuda.

And Bermudian performers will take stage in an expanded version of the Made in Bermuda festival.

Pat Phillip-Fairn, BTA chief product and experiences development officer, said: “It's rewarding to see so many passionate and creative new entrepreneurs gravitate toward tourism and we're delighted that the quality this year is the highest we've seen since we began this process in 2014.

“We spend a lot of time communicating tourism trends to the public and we hold workshops to empower local entrepreneurs.

“That outreach is paying off and we see this as very encouraging for the future of Bermuda tourism.”

Next year, the Tourism Experiences Investment Process will offer support to 55 experiences, including 23 new proposals.

In total, $838,000 has been allocated for the various experiences, with about one-third of that funding going to newly supported experiences.

About 70 per cent of the investment for 2018 will go to experiences characterised as sports and adventure, while the remaining 30 per cent is directed towards arts and culture initiatives.

A BTA spokesman said that among the supported projects is Bermuda by Dune Buggy, a “low-noise, electric vehicle tour experience that will travel via public roadway in the west end making stops at key sites”.

Also supported was WaterRide Transport, an app which was awarded a cash investment for its innovative approach as a water shuttle service.

The dunking re-enactment in St George's (file photograph)

You must be Registered or to post comment or to vote.

Published December 06, 2017 at 1:23 pm (Updated December 06, 2017 at 1:23 pm)

New tourist experiences win BTA support

What you
Need to
1. For a smooth experience with our commenting system we recommend that you use Internet Explorer 10 or higher, Firefox or Chrome Browsers. Additionally please clear both your browser's cache and cookies - How do I clear my cache and cookies?
2. Please respect the use of this community forum and its users.
3. Any poster that insults, threatens or verbally abuses another member, uses defamatory language, or deliberately disrupts discussions will be banned.
4. Users who violate the Terms of Service or any commenting rules will be banned.
5. Please stay on topic. "Trolling" to incite emotional responses and disrupt conversations will be deleted.
6. To understand further what is and isn't allowed and the actions we may take, please read our Terms of Service
7. To report breaches of the Terms of Service use the flag icon