Leopards Club celebrates 70 years
Leopards Club has celebrated its 70th anniversary with a special lunch.
Guests heard that the club, one of Bermuda's oldest charities, had played a “significant role” in the battle for equal rights in Bermuda.
It was founded in 1949 at the Imperial Hotel in Hamilton and moved to its present home on Brunswick Street in 1956.
Wayne Caines, the national security minister, told guests: “Despite the many obstacles faced at that time, the members of Leopards Club were able to overcome the challenges and lay the foundation for the club and our society.
“Their history reflects the history of Bermuda and they must be commended for their continued support of their members and our community.”
The club also contributed to tourism — it owned and operated one of the first hotels for black guests, when the island still practised segregation.
The lunch, held at the club on February 24, also heard that the club used to organise weekly radio broadcasts with guest speakers.