Census count approaches home stretch
The 2016 census has been “bogged down a little bit” in recent months, but is still intended to be finished as of the year's end, according to Michael Dunkley, the Premier.
Responding to questions in Parliament from David Burt, the Leader of the Opposition, Mr Dunkley said that reopening the electronic census remained an option at the discretion of the Director of the Department of Statistics.
As of November 7, 72 per cent of assessment numbers had been accounted for, which includes a combination of residential, vacant, derelict and commercial assessment numbers.
Out of a total of 246 census districts, three have a 100 per cent completion rate, and a “significant number” are still below 60 per cent completion.
Southampton and Hamilton parishes have the highest completion rates at 80 per cent, with Sandys the lowest at 63 per cent.
“There have been incidences wherein householders have declined to participate,” Mr Dunkley told MPs this morning.
“As a reminder, failing to complete the census interview may result in a fine up to $1,000 per day upon conviction.”
• To read the full statement, select the PDF under Related Media