Govt announces big hike in post office fees
New postal fees are set to come into force on April 1 with some prices going up by as much as 25 percent.
A statement this afternoon said the Bermuda Post Office has increased current fees on the following postal service and products:
* All Express Mail Service (EMS) fees will be increased by 25 percent starting with the base charge increasing from of $25 to $31.25.
* Post box annual rental fee will increase from $65 to $85 for small boxes; $90 to $120 for medium boxes and from $260 to $300 annually. A late fee of $25 for large boxes. A $25 late fee will be applied on payment of all post box renewals that fall into arrears by 30 days or more.
* Customs clearance and processing will be increased from $1 to $5 for all dutiable parcels received and processed through the Post Office.
The Bermuda Post Office has implemented new fees on the following Postal Services:
* A new fee of $10 per week or any period thereof will be charged for holding of mail for persons travelling at any post office.
* Redirection of mail overseas due to change of address will incur a new administrative fee of $25 for the three month redirection period in addition to the standard overseas postage costs.
Economy Minister Patrice Minors said the new fees have been implemented to offset the Post Office’s operating costs for its services.
“The pro bono provision of postal services by BPO is no longer sustainable in the face of its spiralling annual deficit. The levying of fees on postal services has precedence in the standard practices of other postal administrations within the Universal Postal Union (UPU) of which Bermuda is a member country through the UK. The US Postal Service (USPS) and the British Royal Mail are examples of UPU member countries that levy fees on postal services to cover their operating costs.”
2. Please respect the use of this community forum and its users.
3. Any poster that insults, threatens or verbally abuses another member, uses defamatory language, or deliberately disrupts discussions will be banned.
4. Users who violate the Terms of Service or any commenting rules will be banned.
5. Please stay on topic. "Trolling" to incite emotional responses and disrupt conversations will be deleted.
6. To understand further what is and isn't allowed and the actions we may take, please read our Terms of Service