Renée Ming to challenge for PLP deputy leader post
Renée Ming, the former national security minister, is to challenge for the deputy leadership of the Progressive Labour Party, The Royal Gazette understands.
The move would pitch her against PLP veteran Walter Roban, the deputy premier, if, as expected, he runs again.
Ms Ming, who was embroiled in a public spat with David Burt, the Premier, earlier this year over whether she resigned from Cabinet or was sacked, would take over as deputy premier if she won the number two position in the PLP.
Sources close to Ms Ming said she had put her name forward for the post.
The election will be decided by some 150 delegates at the PLP’s annual conference next month.
Ms Ming has kept a low profile since her public row with Mr Burt in March, but is known to be popular with the party’s grass roots.
The move comes 24 hours after Curtis Dickinson, the former finance minister, threw down a challenge to Mr Burt by announcing he would run for the PLP leadership.
Lawrence Scott, the transport minister, who sparked surprise earlier this month when he said publicly he was considering a run against Mr Roban, ruled himself out of the contest yesterday.
At the time of Ms Ming’s exit from Cabinet, she said: “I resigned for many reasons.
“There were many reasons. He (Mr Burt) decided to do it this way, but I resigned.”
The Premier insisted it was his decision for Ms Ming to go.
He said he had asked Rena Lalgie, the Governor to “revoke the appointment” as part of a post-Budget look at the front bench.
The Premier later added that Ms Ming “did indicate that she had come with a letter of resignation” to a meeting he had arranged.
He said: “I informed her that I would not accept it as I had already advised the Governor of my decision regarding her appointment.”
The PLP delegates conference is being held on October 19 to 22.