Best yet to come says Trojans coach
Somerset Trojans coach Mike Corday has challenged his players to finish the season on a high after making an impressive return to the top flight.
With two games of the season remaining, the West Enders are sixth in the Premier Division table and have secured a spot in next season’s Dudley Eve.
Trojans host Robins Hood at Somerset CC this evening (8 pm).
Considering the club were without a coach at the start of the campaign after Dennis Brown quit to take over at Devonshire Cougars, Trojans have certainly been one the season’s success stories.
And coach Corday, who replaced Brown, has been proud of his players’ efforts.
“Although we are still aiming to finish as high as we can, I think finishing fifth would be a fair assessment of our season,” he said.
“We’ve survived in the Premier Division with a balance of youth and experience but I think this team can finish higher up in the Premier table each year.
“We have quite a number of very young players in the squad who will improve with each passing season and we need to stick with them as much as possible until they mature, grow in confidence and gain a bit more experience.
“Most of our more experienced starters are still young players.”
Included in Trojans’ list of scalps this season are North Village, Devonshire Cougars, and league champions Dandy Town, while the club also reached the final of the Friendship Trophy.
Corday added: “Qualifying for the Dudley Eve would be an accomplishment in terms of the goals we set, but we still need to aim higher,” he said.
“We are not a club who will ever be satisfied with finishing mid-table or just near the top. We will go from strength to strength.”
2. Please respect the use of this community forum and its users.
3. Any poster that insults, threatens or verbally abuses another member, uses defamatory language, or deliberately disrupts discussions will be banned.
4. Users who violate the Terms of Service or any commenting rules will be banned.
5. Please stay on topic. "Trolling" to incite emotional responses and disrupt conversations will be deleted.
6. To understand further what is and isn't allowed and the actions we may take, please read our Terms of Service