Onions slip up in promotion race
Flanagan’s Onions coach Michael Ward admitted his disappointment at his side’s 2-1 loss to BAA over the weekend, a result that closes the gap for the second and final promotion spot.
The result leaves Flanagan’s three points head of BAA with two games to play. Both have tricky fixtures in the run-in.
Vance Hill grabbed a brace for BAA while Onions skipper Keston Lewis netted his side’s lone goal.
For Ward, whose side beat First Division champions Wolves convincingly last weekend, the defeat was hard to take.
“After last week’s performance, the result this week was a bitter pill to swallow,” said Ward. “Obviously the players were very down after the game but now it is my job to pick them back up before our next game.”
Onions end their campaign with home games against X’Roads and Somerset Eagles, and will look to get an unassailable lead given their vastly superior goal difference (+52) to BAA (+27).
BAA take on Prospect and Paget away in their quest to overhaul Onions.
“We are still in control of the promotion spot and we’re confident we can hold on to it but unfortunately the champagne will have to stay on ice for another two weeks,” added Ward .
“We were architects of our own downfall on Sunday.
“We worked hard to win the ball but we gave it away far too easily and that allowed them to put more men forward.
“I didn’t think there was much between the teams, we had some good chances but we didn’t take them.”
Wolves were confirmed champions with their 7-0 win over Prospect thanks to four goals from Derrick Brangman.
Tamauri Tucker, Kyle Brangman, and Hobte Burrows also found the target.
Hamilton Parish were also big winners with a 7-0 win over Ireland Rangers.
Donovan Thompson scored twice while Nigel Burgess, Marcel Dill, Lorenzo Simmons, John Hunt-Tucker, and an own goal completed the rout.
Devonshire Colts and Young Men’s Social Club couldn’t score, sharing the points at Bernard Park.
2. Please respect the use of this community forum and its users.
3. Any poster that insults, threatens or verbally abuses another member, uses defamatory language, or deliberately disrupts discussions will be banned.
4. Users who violate the Terms of Service or any commenting rules will be banned.
5. Please stay on topic. "Trolling" to incite emotional responses and disrupt conversations will be deleted.
6. To understand further what is and isn't allowed and the actions we may take, please read our Terms of Service