Veterans ready for battle in All-Star clash
Eight players and a referee will be honoured when the 19th annual RO Smith Veterans All-stars over 40s football match between St George’s and Somerset is played on Saturday at Wellington Oval at 3pm.
Former St George’s players to be recognised for their past achievements are Peter Williams, Clifton (Bummy) Anderson and Kenneth (Ju Ju) Maybury while the ex-Somerset Trojans are Roger Hunt, Jerry-Lynn Simons, John Scotland, Clarence (Chippa) Symonds and Roger (Rusty) Russell, along with former FIFA referee Philip (Stickman) Galloway.
Presentations and tributes will be made following the match.
The west enders will be seeking revenge after losing to St George’s 2-1 in last weekend’s Masters Knockout Cup final at Bernard Park. Somerset took the lead in the 35th minute through Duane DeRosa, only to see Andy Williams equalise for St George’s five minutes later.
The score remained tied at 1-1 until the 85th minute when Rudell Pitcher ran onto a ball behind the Somerset defence to score the winner past goalkeeper Gladstone Robinson.
2. Please respect the use of this community forum and its users.
3. Any poster that insults, threatens or verbally abuses another member, uses defamatory language, or deliberately disrupts discussions will be banned.
4. Users who violate the Terms of Service or any commenting rules will be banned.
5. Please stay on topic. "Trolling" to incite emotional responses and disrupt conversations will be deleted.
6. To understand further what is and isn't allowed and the actions we may take, please read our Terms of Service