Log In

Reset Password

Huddersfield bounce back to stay top

Coming through: Wells is tackled by Nedum Onuoha, the QPR defender, at John Smith’s Stadium (Photograph courtesy of the Huddersfield Examiner)

Nahki Wells’s Huddersfield Town remain two points clear at the top of the Sky Bet Championship after beating Queens Park Rangers at the John Smith’s Stadium on Saturday.

Wells, starting for the first time since his team’s 1-0 win at home to Wolverhampton Wanderers on August 27, was substituted in the 91st minute for defender Michael Hefele.

Kasey Palmer put Huddersfield in front when he headed Rajiv van La Parra’s cross in from close range, as the home side had the best of the first half.

Huddersfield continued their dominance after the break and extended their lead when Elias Kachunga headed in Tommy Smith’s perfectly-delivered cross.

David Wagner, the Huddersfield head coach, said: “It was a great reaction by the group after Brighton. Our one target was to bounce back with the right result.

“This was a huge, massive result for us with a performance that was brilliant, fantastic, great. I don’t have enough vocabulary to describe it. I cannot say how happy I am.”

Meanwhile, Reggie Lambe was substituted in the 46th minute in Carlisle United’s 2-2 draw away to Blackpool in League Two.

Armand Gnanduillet scored the equaliser in the 74th minute as Blackpool came from two goals down to snatch a draw against Carlisle.

Despite their first-half dominance, Blackpool were behind after 51 minutes as Jabo Ibehre’s deflected 25-yard shot was tipped against the bar by Sam Slocombe but the rebound fell to Charlie Wyke who tapped home from two yards.

Carlisle, who hold the division’s only unbeaten record, doubled their advantage seven minutes later when Michael Raynes rose highest to nod home Nicky Adams’s free-kick.

Blackpool pulled one back straight from the restart as Gnanduillet teed up strike partner Vassell who nodded past Gillespie from four yards.

Gnanduillet then ensured his side a share of the spoils, latching onto a ball over the top and brushing aside defender Raynes before firing past the onrushing goalkeeper Mark Gillespie 16 minutes from time.