Log In

Reset Password

Struggling Town smacked for six by Colts

First Prev 1 2 Next Last
Photograph by Lawrence TrottSix of the best: Teniko Eve smashes home his team’s fourth goal against Town during Colts’ heavy victory at Police Field yesterday

Devonshire Colts 6 Dandy Town 4

Dandy Town, the league champions, sit alone at the bottom of the Premier Division table after this ten-goal thriller at Police Field left them as the only team without a win in the top division.

The scoreline was just as astonishing as Town’s results this season, just six months after landing their eighth league title. They remain winless after seven games and with only a point on the board. Devonshire Colts, the bottom team going into the weekend, stunned the visitors by leading 4-1 at the half before veteran striker Kyle Jones completed his hat-trick early in the second half.

A fightback by Town made the scoreline look more respectable from their perspective, especially after going a man down in the 65th aminute when midfielder Jahmel Swan was shown two yellow cards in the space of five minutes. Still, Town managed to score three goals after that as inexperience showed in the young Colts side.

“No comments, I’m licking my wounds,” said Town coach Jomar Wilkinson after the final whistle confirmed they would be sinking to the bottom of the standings.

Colts took just eight minutes to break the deadlock, Jones racing through down the right following a throw-in at the halfway line and blasting into the far post despite goalkeeper Dale Eve getting his fingers to the ball. Eve’s fingertips denied Colts — and Jones — a second goal four minutes later when the left footed shot on the turn brought off an equally good save.

Colts doubled their lead in the 32nd minute when a well-struck free kick from 20 yards by Jomei Bean-Lindo was blocked by Eve and Jones followed up to convert the rebound.

That goal was the first of three in three minutes as Eli Smith made it 3-0 to Colts two minutes later when sloppy defending allowed him to convert from close range following a free kick. Town pulled a goal back in the 34th minute when Simmons converted a cross at the far post. Colts kept pushing forward and were rewarded with a fourth goal right on half time when Teniko Eve rode a couple of challenges near the edge of the penalty area before driving his shot into the near bottom corner.

For all intents the match should have been over as a contest when Jones completed his hat-trick four minutes into the second half.

Town suffered another setback when Swan was given a second yellow card for kicking Bean-Lindo.

The youngster responded in the best possible way, scoring Colts’ sixth goal a minute later from close range to rub more salt into Town’s wounds. The champions, who only lost twice in the league last season, were heading to their biggest loss of the campaign ... and to a Colts team that had only scored five goals in six games before yesterday.

The young Colts side started to show defensive nerves as Town launched a late rally to score three late goals to reduce the deficit.

Quinton Jones deflected the ball over the line for an own goal in the 74th minute after Simmons fired in a shot at the near post from a sharp angle.

Damon Ming set up Town’s third goal when he overlapped down the right and laid the ball back for Simmons to drive inside the near post. Even so, Town continued to do most of the attacking and got another goal in the 89th minute when Lathan scored from close range.

Photograph by Lawrence TrottKor-von Tucker (right) plays peacekeeper as he steps in between Colts's Jomei Bean-Lindo and Jahmel Swan. Swan was later sent off for a second booking after fouling the same player.