Log In

Reset Password

Bascome eager for Bristol chance

Continuing to impress: Bermuda midfielder Bascome

Osagi Bascome has had his trial period extended with Bristol City after impressing the coaching staff at the Sky Bet Championship club.

The Bermuda midfielder netted his first goal for the club in their under-23 side’s 3-1 win away to Ipswich Town at Stoke Gifford Stadium yesterday.

Bascome came on a second-half substitute, scoring in the 75th minute with a vicious first-time strike that nestled in the bottom corner to further enhance his chances of a permanent deal.

He also caught the eye during the under-23’s recent 2-0 victory over Portsmouth, earning a penalty after a powerful run during the first half.

Bascome, who made his Bermuda debut at home to Dominican Republic in a World Cup qualifier in June, is staying with family in area while he trains with City — one of Shaun Goater’s former clubs.

The 17-year-old comes from a family of sportsmen, his father Herbie and uncles Andrew and David were all top footballers, while his brothers Onais and Okera have represented Bermuda in cricket.

Bascome himself was a talented cricketer, playing for Bermuda’s under-15 and under-17 sides before deciding to concentrate on football, moving to Spain to turn out for the Valencia’s Academy before joining Levante, who were relegated from La Liga last season.

“I had to choose, I couldn’t be a professional in cricket and football so I chose the one I love more,” Bascome told The Royal Gazette in May. “Now I just play cricket for fun.”

Bristol City, managed by Lee Johnson, are thirteenth in the Championship table.

Nahki Wells’s Huddersfield Town suffered a 2-1 home defeat to Wigan Athletic in the Championship last night.

Wells, who has been linked with a move away from the John Smith’s Stadium, came on in the 45th minute.

Yanic Wildschut scored one goal and made another as Wigan earned their first win under new manager Warren Joyce and stretched Huddersfield’s winless run to four games.

Wildschut crossed for defender Reece Burke to put the visiting side ahead from close range against the run of play.

Aaron Mooy equalised straight after half-time for the Terriers. But Wildschut ran from inside his own half to round goalkeeper Danny Ward and slot home the winner.

The two teams came into the match at opposite ends of the table but both in poor form, with Huddersfield’s early season dominance having fallen away in recent weeks.

However, Huddersfield’s dominated the first half without finding the breakthrough, although Elias Kachunga did have an effort ruled out for offside.

Wigan had already looked dangerous on the break when they counter-attacked again and Wildschut sped down the right before delivering a centre for unmarked on-loan West Ham United defender Burke to fire home.

Whatever Huddersfield head coach David Wagner said at half-time clearly worked as five minutes into the second half, Mooy equalised after Wells’ left-wing centre found him at the far post.

But Huddersfield had not learnt their lesson when Wigan broke again and Wildschut ran from the halfway line to round Ward and slot the ball home.

Huddersfield are clinging on to the final play-off place but have now conceded 15 goals in their last six games.