Log In

Reset Password

Wolves on the climb

A resurgent Wolves continued their steady ascent in the First Division after beating Flanagan's Onions 2-1 at Garrison Field yesterday.

Vince Minors Jr, the Wolves player-coach, put the home side ahead from the penalty spot after a Flanagan's player handled in the area.

Lamont Brangman then doubled Wolves advantage when he lobbed the onrushing goalkeeper after being played through by Nairobi Smith.

Minors's team was denied a clean sheet after the visiting side pulled a goal back from a goalmouth scramble. The victory was the fourth of the season for Wolves, who moved up from sixth to fourth.

Also making headway was St George's Colts, who moved up from tenth to eighth, after edging St David's 2-1 at Wellington Oval.

The home side took the lead through Sage Paynter's fifteenth-minute strike. Kontai Burton grabbed a 63rd-minute equaliser for St David's.

Paynter then netted his second of the match in the 76th minute Unbeaten leaders Southampton Rangers, second-placed Somerset Eagles and third-placed Hamilton Parish all recorded victories.

Rangers thrashed Young Men's Social Club 4-2 in the opening fixture of a double-header at Police Field.

Jarizhino Bassett and Aquino Grant scored within a minute of each other to give Rangers a 2-0 lead.

Jahmair Lewis-Trott pulled a goal back to shave the deficit in half. But Grant grabbed a second goal to restore Rangers's two-goal cushion before Cardel Henry added another in the 68th minute to put the game to bed. Eagles, the only other unbeaten team in the division, kept pace with Rangers after beating bottom side Vasco 4-2 at Bernard Park.

The visiting side led 2-0 at the interval on first-half goals from Tahj Wade and Anwar Telford. Vasco pulled a goal back through Ricardo Ponte in the 58th minute. Leo Burgess made it 3-1 to Eagles in the 61st minute before Vasco scored their second goal in the 79th minute via Marco Mota's shot.

Wade netted his second a minute later to round off the scoring and complete Eagles's fifth win of the campaign.

Parish also kept their promotion bid on track with a hard fought win over Colts at Police Field. Jan-Hendrik Hein put the home side ahead in the 31st minute before Shayne Hollis grabbed a 44th minute equaliser.

Parish went ahead through Shakeem Albouy's 53rd-minute tally but Colts equalised when Keitaro Darrell scored in the 74th minute.

The visiting side would not be denied as Jeremiah Steede netted a dramatic 90th-minute winner.

Leo Burgess, right, netted for Eagles (Photograph by Lawrence Trott)

You must be Registered or to post comment or to vote.

Published November 13, 2018 at 8:00 am (Updated November 12, 2018 at 9:08 pm)

Wolves on the climb

What you
Need to
1. For a smooth experience with our commenting system we recommend that you use Internet Explorer 10 or higher, Firefox or Chrome Browsers. Additionally please clear both your browser's cache and cookies - How do I clear my cache and cookies?
2. Please respect the use of this community forum and its users.
3. Any poster that insults, threatens or verbally abuses another member, uses defamatory language, or deliberately disrupts discussions will be banned.
4. Users who violate the Terms of Service or any commenting rules will be banned.
5. Please stay on topic. "Trolling" to incite emotional responses and disrupt conversations will be deleted.
6. To understand further what is and isn't allowed and the actions we may take, please read our Terms of Service
7. To report breaches of the Terms of Service use the flag icon