Log In

Reset Password

Eagles secure return to top flight in style

On the up: forward Tahj Wade celebrates with Gino Smith after scoring Eagles’ opening goal in their 3-0 victory over St David’s at Lord’s yesterday(Photograph by Blaire Simmons)

Somerset Eagles clinched promotion and took over top spot all in one swoop after a comfortable 3-0 win away to St David’s yesterday.

Eagles led 1-0 at the break thanks to an early goal from Tahj Wade before Anwar Telford added as second with a penalty before Leo Burgess put the match beyond St David’s reach.

Unbeaten Eagles have secured promotion with four games to spare, leapfrogging Southampton Rangers into pole position after Rangers suffered their first loss of the season at home to bottom side Vasco da Gama.

“The guys knew the job we had to do and they were up for it and it showed,” Jensen Rogers, the Eagles coach, said.

“We ticked the first box [promotion] and I’m happy that we are promoted. It was a good effort by the guys.

“They have put in the work all season and now they are reaping the rewards. I don’t think anybody thought we’d be undefeated so far and we’re still in there for the title.”

Rogers, who has guided Eagles to promotion in his debut season at the helm, refuses to take all of the credit for the achievement.

“I just had to build off the foundation that was already there,” he said. “Marlon Rojas did a very good job shaping these guys up. I just had to come in and put my little twist on it and here we are with promotion.

“I’m just ecstatic and I’m sure my players and the community share the same feeling.”

Eagles took only three minutes to break St David’s’ resistance, Wade firing into the far bottom corner from a tight angle after a delightful build up down the right side.

Telford doubled Eagles advantage in the 53rd minute from the penalty spot after St David’s handled in the area.

The visiting side had the ball in the net again when Gino Smith headed home from a free kick. However, the goal was disallowed for infringement.

Wade then went from scorer to provider when he ran into space and found the wide open Burgess, who took two touches before lashing home from inside the box.