Lambe nets in losing cause – The Royal Gazette | Bermuda News, Business, Sports, Events, & Community

Log In

Reset Password

Lambe nets in losing cause

Reggie Lambe got himself on the scoresheet but could not prevent previously in-form Cambridge United slipping to a 2-1 defeat at home to Carlisle United in Sky Bet League Two on Saturday.

The visiting side opened the scoring when Elliot Watt's delivery found Harry McKirdy whose shot hit Kyle Knoyle before falling to Lewis Alessandra who fired into the far corner on the turn.

Carlisle doubled their lead in the 73rd minute when Aaron Hayden knocked a free kick down to Byron Webster, whose effort was well saved by Burton but fell to Nick Anderton to tap in.

The home side set up a tense finale when Harry Darling found substitute Reggie Lambe, who lashed home from just inside the box with eight minutes remaining.

However, despite a late rally from Cambridge, who had been unbeaten in five, Carlisle held on to secure a first victory in a month.

In the same division, Jonté Smith came on as a second-half substitute as Cheltenham Town moved up to fourth, one point off the automatic promotion spots, with a 2-0 victory away to promotion rivals Colchester United.

There was little between the teams until the opening goal, as Alfie May sprung the offside trap and coolly slid the ball under Colchester goalkeeper Dean Gerken.

The home side pushed for an equaliser but suffered another blow with 11 minutes remaining when Chris Hussey's in-swinging free kick from the right evaded everyone and nestled into the far top corner.

Nahki Wells was introduced a 69th minute substitute but could not inspire Bristol City to victory as they were held to a 1-1 draw away to Milwall in the Sky Bet Championship.

Pedro Pereira had fired the visiting side into an tenth minute lead as he pounced on a loose ball from a corner to fire home.

Although Millwall created little in the first half, they made the faster start after the interval and were rewarded with an equaliser that appeared to come from the head of striker Matt Smith, but the final touch was by Bristol City defender Tomas Kalas.

The result extends City's winless league run to four matches as they missed the opportunity to move back into the play-off picture. Lee Johnson's side are seventh, one-place and two points adrift of Preston North End in sixth.

In League One, goalkeeper Nathan Trott was an unused substitute as AFC Wimbledon halted a seven-match winless run in thrilling fashion, with a last gasp 2-1 victory away to Gillingham.

The visitors deservedly took the lead four minutes after the break when Joe Pigott fired into an empty net after Jack Bonham's parry from Kwesi Appiah's header fell to him six yards out.

With just three minutes remaining, Gillingham levelled as substitute Regan Charles-Cook headed past a helpless Joe Day. However, AFC snatched a dramatic victory as midfielder Callum Reilly, who left Gillingham for free last summer, fired past Bonham in the first minute of stoppage time to clinch all three points.

Justin Donawa played a full 90 minutes as Darlington drew a third straight match in Vanarama National League North after being held by visiting Brackley 1-1.

Darlington were awarded a penalty after 42 minutes when Jarrett Rivers was brought down as he chased a loose ball inside the area.

Adam Campbell took responsibility and made no mistake neatly slotting home his fourteenth goal of the season.

Donawa came close to doubling the host's advantage, heading into the goalkeeper's hands, before the visiting side levelled after 76 minutes as the ball fell kindly in the area to substitute Simeon Maye who lashed the ball in.

In the same division, Bermuda goalkeeper Dale Eve was an unused substitute as ten-men Spennymoor Town rescued a dramatic 3-3 at home against AFC Telford United.

Telford led 2-1 when James Curtis was shown a straight red card for an apparent high foot, before Brendon Daniels extended the visiting side advantage from the resulting free-kick.

However, the home side battled back with James Roberts reducing the deficit before with just seconds remaining Tyler Forbes collected the ball on his chest from 25 yards and unleashed a swerving shot which beat Telford goalkeeper Michael Luyambula.

Meanwhile, Milan Butterfield's Kiddiminster Harriers team saw their home fixture against Guiseley postponed due to a waterlogged pitch.

Tevahn Tyrell was forced to wait for his Durham City AFC debut after the club's fixture away to Jarrow in National League Division Two was postponed.

Reggie Lambe

You must be Registered or to post comment or to vote.

Published March 01, 2020 at 6:50 pm (Updated March 01, 2020 at 11:40 pm)

Lambe nets in losing cause

What you
Need to
1. For a smooth experience with our commenting system we recommend that you use Internet Explorer 10 or higher, Firefox or Chrome Browsers. Additionally please clear both your browser's cache and cookies - How do I clear my cache and cookies?
2. Please respect the use of this community forum and its users.
3. Any poster that insults, threatens or verbally abuses another member, uses defamatory language, or deliberately disrupts discussions will be banned.
4. Users who violate the Terms of Service or any commenting rules will be banned.
5. Please stay on topic. "Trolling" to incite emotional responses and disrupt conversations will be deleted.
6. To understand further what is and isn't allowed and the actions we may take, please read our Terms of Service
7. To report breaches of the Terms of Service use the flag icon