Blackburn lowers breaststroke record
Lisa Blackburn dropped four seconds off her Bermuda 200 metres breaststroke record while competing at the Indianapolis Grand Prix.
Blackburn, who is also swimming the 100 metres breaststroke, advanced to the finals in both events and will be looking to go even lower than her record breaking performance when she takes to the pool again today.
“I feel very strong and the training has definitely prepared me well for this meet,” said Blackburn.
Also performing at the meet are Roy-Allan Burch and Julian Fletcher.
Burch, competing in the 100 and 200 metres freestyle, put in solid performances, although his times weren’t good enough to grab him a spot in the finals, while Fletcher is set to enter the pool today in his preferred 100 metres breaststroke event.
“The Indianapolis Grand Prix is one of the fastest meets of the year in swimming and draws a field of the biggest names in the sport,” said national coach Ben Smith.
“Bermuda has three of our best swimmers in attendance at the prestigious meet and they are competing in the top flight.
“Roy is continuing to try to add events to his Olympic qualifier, and had a strong swim finishing with a 51.91, although it was not quite fast enough to make it back for the finals.
“Lisa will get another shot at lowering her time again in the finals of her events as well.”
Burch competes today in the 50 metres freestyle where he hopes to lower his best time.
Meanwhile, former of Athlete of the Year Kiera Aitken will be competing in the Spanish Nationals this weekend.
2. Please respect the use of this community forum and its users.
3. Any poster that insults, threatens or verbally abuses another member, uses defamatory language, or deliberately disrupts discussions will be banned.
4. Users who violate the Terms of Service or any commenting rules will be banned.
5. Please stay on topic. "Trolling" to incite emotional responses and disrupt conversations will be deleted.
6. To understand further what is and isn't allowed and the actions we may take, please read our Terms of Service