New iPad goes on sale in Bermuda
The new iPad is now for sale in Bermuda weeks sooner than expected.
Both Computer City and iClick have the latest model of Apple’s tablet.
Computer City told us they went on sale early yesterday morning and have been flying off the shelves.
“We’ve sold about four this morning and one’s on its way out the door right now as we speak,” a Computer City salesman told us yesterday.
The company has all six models of the new iPad for sale. For the Wi-Fi only models, prices start at $882 for the 16GB (which sells in the US for $499), $1056 for the 32GB ($599 in US) and $1288 for the 64GB ($699 in US).
For Wi-Fi + 4G models, prices start at $1,105 for the 32GB ($629 in US), $1,280 for the 32GB ($729 in US) and $1,447 ($829 in US).
Almost all models are marked up more than 76 percent except for the 64GB Wi-Fi only which is marked up 84 percent.
In order to get the product on its shelves quickly, Computer City purchased the models overseas at retail cost and imported them to Bermuda themselves.
“The new iPad is not readily available in our region yet, so we’ve had to send someone over the US to buy them and bring them back over,” the salesman told us. “So you have to factor in state tax and duty.”
The iClick store on Reid Street is also selling the new iPad. They hit the shelves yesterday afternoon. A salesman there said they won’t get a direct shipment from Apple for six or more weeks, so they too had to send someone overseas to buy the devices.
They’re selling the 16GB and 32GB Wi-Fi only models for $869 and $979 respectively.
Both Computer City and iClick said once they are able to import the iPads directly from the distributor, the prices are likely to be reduced.
2. Please respect the use of this community forum and its users.
3. Any poster that insults, threatens or verbally abuses another member, uses defamatory language, or deliberately disrupts discussions will be banned.
4. Users who violate the Terms of Service or any commenting rules will be banned.
5. Please stay on topic. "Trolling" to incite emotional responses and disrupt conversations will be deleted.
6. To understand further what is and isn't allowed and the actions we may take, please read our Terms of Service