Talented tennis players ready for Spring Fever tournament
Some of the island’s brightest young tennis talents will be in action over the next few days in the Bermuda Lawn Tennis Association’s Spring Fever Tournament.
Being held from Thurday to Sunday at the WER Joell Tennis Stadium in Pembroke, the competition, which is sponsored by the Axa XL Group, will feature more than 30 players aged between 11 and 18 with the competitors divided into seven age groups.
Starting at 4pm, the opening day’s play consists of eleven matches split across the under-14 boys, under-12 boys, under-12 girls, under-16 boys, under-16 girls and under-18 girls.
The only seed in action in the under-14 boys division is Jaden Jones. The talented young player is seeded four and recently represented Bermuda in the World Junior Tennis Championships in Dominican Republic.
He will be facing Johnny Ringold in the first round with Jit Shuen Liew taking on Chase McCrimmon, Christopher Madeiros facing Ryan Ringold, Raul Maldonado up against Cyre Trott and Will Britten across the net from Hasan Khan in the other matches in that age group on Thursday.
Another player with overseas experience, Zach Maguire, begins his campaign in the under-16 boys tournament. Maguire formed part of the island’s team at the Junior Davis Cup pre-qualifying competition for the Caribbean and Central American region in Guatemala, and is the No.2 seed at the Spring Fever Tournament behind Tristan Pettit. Maguire takes on Camilo Legere in his first-round match.
There are two matches in the under-12 boys category on Thursday with Manuel Maldonado doing battle with Jit Hom Liew and Winston Mahabir up against Ernest Ball.
The under-16 girls will compete in a round-robin tournament with Emma Hales and Nadhira Durham getting that event under way. Kumani Jackson takes on Aries Gilbert-Simons in the under-18 girls division, while the first match in the under-12 girls category is contested by Francesca Cressall-Haycock and Chloe McBrearty.
2. Please respect the use of this community forum and its users.
3. Any poster that insults, threatens or verbally abuses another member, uses defamatory language, or deliberately disrupts discussions will be banned.
4. Users who violate the Terms of Service or any commenting rules will be banned.
5. Please stay on topic. "Trolling" to incite emotional responses and disrupt conversations will be deleted.
6. To understand further what is and isn't allowed and the actions we may take, please read our Terms of Service