Raynor reaffirms Bermuda remains ready to host Carifta Games
Donna Raynor, the Bermuda National Athletics Association president, says the island is ready to host the Carifta Games regardless of whatever rescheduled date organisers ultimately settle upon.
Bermuda was scheduled to host the Games last year which were postponed because of the Covid-19 pandemic.
Organisers then rescheduled the annual event for the Easter weekend, April 3 to 5, of this year with Bermuda retained as the host country.
However, a recent spike in positive Covid-19 cases, both in the United States and in Bermuda, has raised concerns for both the host country and the North American, Central American and Caribbean Athletic Association (NACAC) about the ability to stage the Games in less than three months time.
Among a list of proposals outlined in a survey organisers sent out to respective federations last month to obtain their input on key issues surrounding the event, was the possibility of staging the Games in late June or early July instead.
“As you know we are ready,” Raynor said. “We have everything ready and basically the only thing that we would have to confirm right now is transportation and accommodation
“Those are the only two things that are outstanding for us and whatever dates they say the Games are we just have to make sure that we secure accommodation and transportation.”
The deadline for the survey to be completed is tomorrow.
“The survey went out before Christmas and we gave them a deadline of January 8, which is Friday, to complete,” Raynor, who is also chairwoman of the local organising committee, added.
“Once the survey is completed, myself, Mia and the NACAC executive will get back together, look at all of the results and from those results decide a date that we’ll work towards.”
Raynor says the association “are fine” with any of the dates that have been selected or mentioned, but prefer not to host the Games in April.
“For us, April would be kind of stressful because we don’t know where Covid is going to be and what travel is going to be like,” she added.
“Our preference is to move it. But if they say April then we will just have to get ourselves prepared.
“We don’t want to reach a point where we get to April and it has to be cancelled again, but it depends on what everybody else says as well.”