Murder victim was ‘lured by ex-girlfriend’

A man stabbed to death more than 13 years ago was lured to his death by an ex-girlfriend, a Supreme Court trial was told yesterday.

Katrina Burgess and Cleveland Rogers are charged with the premeditated murder of Marcus Gibbings.

The body of Mr Gibbings, 32, was found inside an apartment on Derwent Lane, in Devonshire, on October 26, 2006.

Karen King, for the Crown, told jurors that Mr Gibbings was “ambushed” at his former apartment and stabbed to death.

She added that the body of the victim was found the next day by co-workers who were concerned after he failed to show up for work.

Ms King said: “We say that the defendant Mr Rogers is the person who ambushed Mr Gibbings and he is the one who stabbed him to death.”

She told the court that Mr Rogers and Ms Burgess were half-siblings.

Ms King said: “The Crown’s case is that Katrina Burgess lured Mr Gibbings, the deceased, to the apartment knowing that he would be ambushed there by the defendant, Mr Rogers.”

Both defendants have pleaded not guilty to the charge.

Ms King said that Mr Gibbings, originally from Trinidad, and Ms Burgess had been involved in a relationship for several years and had lived together “in a few places”, including an apartment at 10 Derwent Lane.

She added that on or about October 20, 2006, Mr Gibbings moved out of the apartment to “accommodation he had secured elsewhere”.

Ms King said that Ms Burgess and Mr Gibibings had arranged to meet a few days later on October 25 at the Derwent Lane apartment to “discuss a few things”.

She added: “Ms Burgess never went to the apartment — she didn’t show up.

“Instead, she stayed late at work, she had some drinks with a friend and then later she and that friend went out to dinner and had more drinks in Hamilton.

“The Crown says that Ms Burgess was establishing her alibi.”

Detective Constable Eric Woods testified that he had taken photographs and video footage at 10 Derwent Lane and another home at 8 Foothills Road, also in Devonshire, in the days after Mr Gibbings was murdered.

Jury members were shown photographs that showed Mr Gibbings’s body on the floor of the Derwent Lane apartment and red stains, including on the fridge, kitchen cupboards, and blinds.

Susan Mulligan, for Mr Rogers, questioned Mr Woods about boots that were collected by police and asked if he had been present for any examination of the boots.

Mr Woods said that he did not recall being present for any examination of the boots and had no knowledge of what sort of examination was to be performed.

He added that he was aware that fingerprint evidence that had been collected did not match Mr Rogers.

Charles Richardson, for Ms Burgess, asked Mr Woods about a red motorcycle that could be seen outside the Derwent Lane apartment in photographs shown to jurors.

Mr Woods said he did not know who owned the motorbike.

Mr Richardson also highlighted a photograph that showed what said was a mobile phone near an overturned chair.

Mr Woods said he did not remember if a mobile phone from the apartment had been seized by police.

Mr Richardson also drew Mr Woods’ attention to a photograph that showed what he said was a motorcycle key.

He asked: “Did it not occur to you when you saw that bike up top, and that key, right there in that pool of blood ... that they could be linked?”

Mr Woods replied: “My specific task was to photograph the crime scene.”

The trial continues.

It is The Royal Gazette’s policy not to allow comments on stories regarding court cases. As we are legally liable for any libellous or defamatory comments made on our website, this move is for our protection as well as that of our readers.

  • Take Our Poll

    Today's Obituaries

    eMoo Posts