RBR troops head to Jamaica for hurricane relief work
Members of the Royal Bermuda Regiment left the island today bound for Jamaica, where they will be part of a multinational body to support relief efforts in the wake of Hurricane Melissa.
The RBR explained that 26 of its soldiers and officers would be mobilised until February 28 to repair roofs in the parish of St Elizabeth, which sustained significant damage from the storm — a Category 5 when it made landfall there last October.
They will operate on behalf of Bermuda and are to be joined by eight people from the Cayman Islands Regiment as well as five from the Turks & Caicos Islands Regiment.
Together, the troops will partner with the Jamaica Defence Force and the Guyana Defence Force to fix as many damaged roofs as possible.
RBR Commanding Officer Lieutenant-Colonel Duncan Simons said: “The regiment affords Bermuda a mechanism to put boots on the ground in Jamaica to support the recovery from Hurricane Melissa, supplementing the Bermuda community’s generous support in the months since the storm.
“This is also an opportunity for Bermuda to lead a co-ordinated effort which includes soldiers from the Cayman Islands Regiment and marines from the Turks & Caicos Islands Regiment, demonstrating co-ordination and interoperability.
“During the two weeks, our soldiers will embed with the JDF Engineer Task Force South in St Elizabeth, where they will assist in repairing roofs across the community.”
The RBR said that the roof-repair mission was chosen for its capacity to bring results that will make “an immediate and tangible difference to the lives of those affected by the storm”.
Specialist skills of those taking part include carpentry, masonry, landscaping, construction expertise and communications capabilities, it added.
Governor Andrew Murdoch, who is the RBR’s Commander-in-Chief, said: “With the full support of the Government of Bermuda, the regiment can provide much needed assistance in Jamaica, making use of its skills and experience.
“I am particularly delighted that the operation will involve contingents from three Overseas Territories, working together to assist Jamaica.
“Those forces will be under the operational command of the Royal Bermuda Regiment, which recognises the leadership that Bermuda can deliver.
“I would like to highlight those RBR personnel responsible for the planning and execution of this deployment.
“It has entailed significant work, including a recce last year.”
Michael Weeks, the Minister of National Security, said that the Government was “very pleased to honour its commitment” to provide assistance in Jamaica.
He added: “The Royal Bermuda Regiment has a long and distinguished history of providing such relief and I have every confidence that they will have an indelible and meaningful impact on the recovery efforts in Jamaica.
“This deployment will also deepen the very strong bond that Bermuda has with Jamaica, as well as the bond between the RBR and the Jamaica Defence Force.”
Mr Weeks said: “For such a time as this, the Bermuda Government is proud to deploy our RBR troops to render humanitarian aid and assistance to those in need.”
• For information on joining the Royal Bermuda Regiment, visit rbr.bm, call 238-1045 or e-mail rbr.recruiting@gov.bm
