Jury hears more about 2010 fight involving murder victim
A jury heard that the mother of a murder victim confronted men who she believed attacked her son months before his fatal shooting.
Roydelle Robinson, the mother of shooting victim Randy Robinson, said in a written statement read to the Supreme Court on Thursday, that she had been in attendance at a football game in St George’s on November 11, 2010.
Shortly after the game, she saw a number of people running out of the club building and was told that her son was being “jumped”.
Ms Robinson wrote that by the time she was able to make it inside, the club was largely empty, her son’s jacket was torn, there was beer over the front of his shirt and he had a bump on his head.
She said that outside of the club, she noticed Jay Dill and Julian Washington getting on their bikes and confronted them.
Ms Robinson wrote: “I approached Jay Dill and asked him if he just jumped by son. He put his hands up and said no. He put his head down and I slapped him on the left side of his helmet.”
She said she also approached Mr Washington and another man, Darrion Simons, but was stopped by police.
In another written statement, Ms Robinson said that on March 31, 2011, the night of the fatal shooting, she had stepped outside to go and get dinner when a woman told her that her son had been “hit”.
She said that at the time, she thought he had not left her home yet as she had just spoken with him.
Ms Robinson wrote that she went to Border Lane North, where she saw a white sneaker that she recognised as her son’s.
She described her son as a loving and respectful young man who never had any drama with anyone.
She added: “I was very protective of Randy. I would drive him where every he wanted to go to make sure he was safe.”
Ms Robinson added that while her son was not involved in gang activity, two of his cousins were considered members of the gang, Parkside.
Mr Hewey has denied charges of premeditated murder and using a firearm to commit an indictable offence in connection with the 2011 shooting of 22-year-old Mr Robinson.
The court heard previously that Mr Robinson was shot in the head and chest on the evening of on March 31, 2011, as he walked along Border Lane North.
Prosecutors have said he was targeted for a “gang hit” by two men on a motorcycle, who subsequently fled the area.
The court has heard that Dill was convicted of being the gunman in the fatal attack, while Mr Hewey is accused of being the rider of the bike.
On Wednesday, the court heard evidence from Mr Robinson’s father, who testified that he was supposed to have a lobster dinner with his son on the evening of the fatal shooting.
He also recalled that in November 2010, he was with his son at the St George’s Cricket Club when a group of young men confronted Mr Robinson.
On Thursday, the jury were read a series of witness statements from police officers who responded to the shooting.
Inspector Ian Tomkins wrote that he was off-duty with Assistant Police Commissioner David Mirfield at the National Stadium when he heard three or four gunshots from the direction of Roberts Avenue.
He said they drove to the area and were flagged down by a member of the public who told them that a man had been shot in the road and directed them to Border Lane North.
Mr Tomkins said that they arrived at the scene at around the same time as other officers and saw a young Black man on his back in the middle of the road.
He said that Mr Mirfield approached the man, but could not find a pulse.
Mr Tomkins said he spoke to a witness who said that while he could not identify the attackers, he could say that they had left the scene on a black Honda Scoopy.
Detective Constable O’Neil Swaby told the court that he had also attended the scene and escorted the body of Mr Robinson to the morgue at King Edward VII Memorial Hospital.
Mr Swaby said that he subsequently obtained a warrant for a firearms search for a property on Palmetto Road and attended the home to serve as a notes officer for the search.
He noted a series of items that had been seized during the search including two helmets, a variety of clothing items, jewellery, bedding and a bulletproof vest which was discovered in a closet.
Mr Swaby told the court that each of the items was placed in a brown paper bag and sealed.
However, under cross examination he accepted that he was not present when armed officers entered the property and could not say what they may have touched.
He also told the court that he did not know where the seized items were now. The trial, before Puisne Judge Alan Richards, continues.
• It is The Royal Gazette’s policy not to allow comments on stories regarding criminal court cases. This is to prevent any statements being published that may jeopardise the outcome of that case
