Bermuda resident’s family displaced after earthquake
A Colombian woman living in Bermuda has shared how her family were affected by a deadly earthquake last week.
Ana Garcia Ocampo said that while her family in Manizales, central Colombia, are alive and safe after the 7.4-magnitude earthquake on August 10, some have been unable to return to their homes.
She explained on Saturday: “I have a cousin who cannot go back to his apartment; he has a wife and two kids. An uncle also has to wait until next week to return to his place as well.”
At least 260 people were killed and almost 4,000 injured during the earthquake, which struck near San José del Palmar, about 56 miles from where Ms Garcia Ocampo’s family are.
She said that 40 per cent of families in the city — where she lived before moving to Bermuda 21 years ago — do not have a place to live as a result of the earthquake.
Ms Garcia Ocampo explained: “Many houses in Manizales collapsed, many buildings are so badly damaged that they need to be demolished, while many others require repairs that may take weeks or months.”
She added: “The Government and the city have opened certain places where they can go and spend the night, but those people left their houses within seconds with basically what they were wearing at the time.”
She recalled, at age 5, her grandmother welcoming strangers into her home after an earthquake in Colombia, and an even deadlier one in the country in 1999.
Ms Garcia Ocampo said Bermudians can assist people affected by the earthquake by donating to the Colombia Red Cross and similar organisations.
She added that the international response has been “amazing”.
Stanley James, the founder and chief medical officer at Premier Health & Wellness Centre, was helping establish a clinic in Colombia when the earthquake struck.
He plans to work with Hamilton Seventh-day Adventist Church and Christian missionary group It Is Written to facilitate support from Bermudians to those affected. Dr James intends to return to Colombia soon for re-engagement.
