Screening of The Deep and silent auction to end Dive Month
A marine science institute will host a silent auction and a film night to close off a month of diving promotions.
The Bermuda Underwater Exploration Institute will host a screening of the 1976 adventure film The Deep on Friday and a silent auction before the screening.
The event will be held to cap off Bermuda Dive Month, a campaign created by the Bermuda Tourism Authority to encourage the public to survey the open waters of Bermuda.
The Deep, adapted from the Peter Benchley novel of the same name, was based on the ship Constellation, which was shipwrecked off the coast of Bermuda while carrying war cargo.
Memorabilia from the movie, such as signed crew T-shirts, props and movie posters, will be offered at the silent auction alongside complimentary cocktails.
Part of the proceeds from the auction will go towards BUEI programmes.
Karla Lacey, the chief executive officer of BUEI, said: “As we close out Bermuda’s inaugural Dive Month, we are extremely grateful to have had the opportunity to host four events throughout the month of April which not only highlighted the wonders of Bermuda but brought people together, created numerous conversations around diving, built networks and carved out pathways into Bermuda’s diving community.
“I would also like to thank the Bermuda Tourism Authority for their involvement in shining a bright light on Bermuda as an internationally recognised diving destination.
“We look forward to the return of Bermuda Dive Month next year.”
The cocktail reception and silent auction will start at 6pm and the movie will start at 7pm.
Tickets to the event, which will be held at BUEI, are $40 for members and $46 for non-members.
Tickets can be bought by visiting the Ptix website or by calling BUEI at 294-0204.
• UPDATE: This article has been amended to reflect the correct ticket prices.
2. Please respect the use of this community forum and its users.
3. Any poster that insults, threatens or verbally abuses another member, uses defamatory language, or deliberately disrupts discussions will be banned.
4. Users who violate the Terms of Service or any commenting rules will be banned.
5. Please stay on topic. "Trolling" to incite emotional responses and disrupt conversations will be deleted.
6. To understand further what is and isn't allowed and the actions we may take, please read our Terms of Service