Police warning after spate of crashes
Police warned road users yesterday to be safe on the roads after a spate of crashes over the weekend.
Assistant Commissioner of Police Martin Weekes said that four motorcyclists had been taken to the King Edward VII Memorial Hospital with “serious but non life-threatening” injuries after three incidents.
He added: “It would be inappropriate to comment on these collisions as they remain under investigation at this time. However, I once again appeal to motorists and other road users to exercise extreme caution when operating a vehicle.
“Stay within the speed limit. Do not drive while under the influence of alcohol, or drugs, prescribed or otherwise.
“Remember, driving on the island's roads is a privilege and must be handled responsibly.”
Police said that a collision involving two motorcyclists happened on the Causeway in St George's on Sunday just before 8.45pm. The victims, a 24-year-old man and a 25-year-old man, were said to have been unconscious at the scene but later came to. The 24-year-old suffered a broken leg and head injuries and the 25-year-old man had head injuries.
It is believed that both men were travelling in opposite directions along the Causeway when they were in collision.
Police attended another serious collision between a male motorcyclist and a parked truck on Wellington Back Road, St George's, about 10pm on Saturday. The rider suffered a broken arm and cuts to his head and was also suspected to have internal bleeding.
Police responded to a serious collision about two hours before between a car and a motorcycle.
The incident happened at the junction of Jennings Road and Middle Road in Smith's at about 8.15pm. The bike rider, a man, was suspected to have suffered internal injuries. Police have appealed for witnesses.