Girl, 5, describes on video alleged sexual assault – The Royal Gazette | Bermuda News, Business, Sports, Events, & Community

Log In

Reset Password
BERMUDA | RSS PODCAST

Girl, 5, describes on video alleged sexual assault

A five-year-old girl told police she was sexually assaulted by a stranger when she was playing outside her home.

A male client of the Mid-Atlantic Wellness Institute (MWI) is on trial at Supreme Court accused of attacking the youngster.

The jury watched videos yesterday of two interviews conducted with the child by a female police officer and female social worker after the incident last July.

The youngster constantly fidgeted on a sofa at the Vulnerable Persons Unit as she told them in answer to their questions about it: “I'm scared to tell you.”

After she was reassured she was not in trouble, she went on to describe how a man approached her when she was outside playing with her cousin and sister.

“A stranger came. He didn't know my name. He spoke to me and told me to come with him,” she explained.

She said the man took her to an area near a laundry room and made her take her underwear off.

According to her, he then pulled his own underwear down, touched her sexually and told her to touch him, which she did.

The child put a sofa cushion in front of her face and played with crayons and a teddy bear as she told of the incident.

She described the stranger as wearing a green shirt and blue jeans.

“He was tall like my Daddy,” she added.

“He was just by himself.”

She explained that after the man made her touch him: “He let me go and I went straight upstairs and told my mom what he did.”

In evidence earlier this week, the child's mother said the girl came back to the house “wide-eyed” and “upset”, and told her what happened.

She called the police and her daughter was taken to hospital and examined by a nurse from the Sexual Assault Response Team.

DNA expert Candy Zuleger told the trial swabs taken from the child's private parts and underwear tested positive for the accused man's DNA.

Defence lawyer Ken Savoury has claimed the DNA evidence is unreliable.

Yesterday, Mr Savoury cross-examined Detective Constable Dionne Williams of the Vulnerable Persons Unit, who led the investigation.

She confirmed Mr Savoury's suggestion that another male MWI patient was arrested during the investigation.

A third man was also detained by police who took him off a bus. However, when the girl was shown his picture, she told police he was not the man who assaulted her.

The accused man denies two charges of sexual exploitation relating to his alleged touching of the girl, and the allegation that he made her touch him.

Neither he nor the girl can be identified for legal reasons and the case continues.

You must be Registered or to post comment or to vote.

Published March 11, 2011 at 9:00 am (Updated March 11, 2011 at 8:59 am)

Girl, 5, describes on video alleged sexual assault

What you
Need to
Know
1. For a smooth experience with our commenting system we recommend that you use Internet Explorer 10 or higher, Firefox or Chrome Browsers. Additionally please clear both your browser's cache and cookies - How do I clear my cache and cookies?
2. Please respect the use of this community forum and its users.
3. Any poster that insults, threatens or verbally abuses another member, uses defamatory language, or deliberately disrupts discussions will be banned.
4. Users who violate the Terms of Service or any commenting rules will be banned.
5. Please stay on topic. "Trolling" to incite emotional responses and disrupt conversations will be deleted.
6. To understand further what is and isn't allowed and the actions we may take, please read our Terms of Service
7. To report breaches of the Terms of Service use the flag icon