Log In

Reset Password

Pizza punch-up costs man hefty fine

A dispute over a pizza cost a man a total of $1,250 after he punched a security guard and later got in a fight with the guard’s cousin, Magistrates’ Court heard yesterday.

Rashaad Cooper, 39, pleaded guilty in Magistrates’ Court to assault and being involved in a fight in a public place.

The court heard that Cooper punched Ndavyah Williams in the face as Mr Williams worked as a security guard at the Robin Hood Pub and Restaurant in Pembroke.

Mr Williams was asked to escort Cooper from the restaurant, but Cooper refused to leave and said: “Do you know who I am? I’m Rashaad Cooper.”

He punched Mr Williams in the face and told him: “That wasn’t even my full strength – you would have been on the ground if it was.”

Police were called and they arrested Cooper. The incident happened on October 11, 2019.

The court also heard that police officers were on patrol on Front Street, Hamilton, on November 25 the same year and saw Cooper and another man arguing in Chancery Lane.

The men started to trade punches and officers had to pull them apart. Police warned Cooper that he was under arrest.

Cooper told them: “Are you serious? He hit me in the head with a bottle.”

The court heard that Cooper, from Pembroke, at first pleaded not guilty to the assault charge, but failed to show up for a court appearance in November 2020.

He changed his plea to guilty yesterday.

Cooper said that Robin Hood assault arose from a dispute over a pizza he had ordered.

He added the Chancery Lane fight was with Mr Williams’ cousin, who hit him with a bottle as revenge for the earlier assault.

Cooper apologised for his behaviour and promised to be better behaved.

Magistrate Craig Attridge told Cooper: “Next time, count to ten. It may not be easy, but you’re the one who suffers.”

Mr Attridge fined him $250 for the Chancery Lane fight and $1,000 for the assault on Mr Williams.

In a separate case, Cooper admitted riding an unlicensed bike, riding without insurance and riding without a licence on November 25 last year in Devonshire.

Mr Attridge fined him a total of $2,050 for the roads offences. He gave Cooper until May 31 to pay the fines.

• It is The Royal Gazette’s policy not to allow comments on stories regarding court cases. As we are legally liable for any libellous or defamatory comments made on our website, this move is for our protection as well as that of our readers.