Storm brings Cavs’ title chase to halt – The Royal Gazette | Bermuda News, Business, Sports, Events, & Community

Log In

Reset Password

Storm brings Cavs’ title chase to halt

Holders Forties made light of a six-week break by easing into the final of the Commercial Cricket League’s Knockout Cup at the expense of Jamaican Association, but at Shelly Bay it was a case of no way, Jose, as a heavy downpour from Sunday’s tropical storm forced the abandonment of the other semi-final between Spring Garden Cavaliers and North Village.

Village were 78 for four from 16.4 overs when the match was called off. It will be replayed at Shelly Bay this Sunday.

Cavaliers have already won three titles this season and are chasing an unprecedented fourth.

Ten-man Forties confirmed their place in the final by beating Jamaican Association by five wickets after skittling out their opponents for 110, which included 21 wides, in 28 overs at rain-free Garrison Field before knocking off the runs inside 23 of their allotted 40 overs.

Left-arm seamer David DeSilva dashed Jamaican Association’s hopes of posting a sizeable total, claiming four for 12 in a brilliant eight-over spell, and then his son Edward helped guide Forties to victory with an unbeaten 40 at number four.

It was Forties’ first competitive match since they wrapped up their league programme on July 17, having been dumped out of the Twenty20 League Cup along with Village by Cavaliers in June.

The Jamaicans lost wickets steadily as DeSilva scythed through the top order - opener Wayne Locke made 16 and number five Presley Millwood 25 and he was well supported by Brian Holdipp (three for 30 from seven overs) and Yatin Gawas (two for 29 from six). David’s other son, Dylan, picked up one for 20 from six.

Free-scoring Aaron Adams, who made 60 not out the previous day in Eastern Counties’ 306-run demolition of Western Counties, batted at number nine but made only three before being bowled by Gawas.

In reply, skipper Simon Jones (12) and Gawas (26 from 21 balls) added 39 for the first wicket and although further wickets fell at 43 and 53 DeSilva found an able partner in Palithapushpara Kumara (19) as the pair took Forties to the brink of victory with a fourth-wicket stand of 55.

Skipper Alleyne Francis, Ian Coke and Darren Anglin claimed a wicket apiece for the Jamaicans.

“It was very windy but there was not a drop of rain at Garrison Field,” said Forties’ spokesman Gordon Campbell. “The wind really helped David’s in-dipper and he was unplayable at times.

“The other bowlers, after starting loosely we’ve had six weeks off came back strongly to clean up the tail. Yatin got us off to a flying start and Edward played a sensible innings to see us home.”

The rain at Shelly Bay eased a major headache for Forties who had planned to seek a week’s delay in the final, now set for September 11.

Campbell said four or five of the 10 who played on Sunday would have been unavailable this week “because of unavoidable travel and there’s no way we could have put out a legal team”.

Jamaican Association spokesman Glenmore Barrett blamed sloppy batting for his team’s heavy defeat against the league runners-up.

“My players just went out to have some fun. We would have liked to win, but there’s no silverware for us this season. Bottom line is we didn’t bat well. In fact, our batting was dreadful, sloppy, not good enough.”

Village, who had not played for five weeks, are looking forward to Sunday’s replay, opener Mike Payne having topscored with 34 in their 78 for four.

“We would like to think the rained-out match provided us with an opportunity to get some much needed batting practice as our last game was on July 24,” said Village skipper Allen Walker. “Now with the rescheduled game we should be a little more confident because our timing was off. We look forward to the challenge on Sunday with the mindset of upsetting Spring Garden.”

League umpire Hector Watson said: “We were able to get in 16.4 overs before the heavens opened. It rained heavily for about 40 minutes and then stopped.

“At 3.15pm we inspected the pitch and the captains decided to call off the match in the interest of safety.

“Based on my calculations, we would have had to restart at the latest at 5.06pm in order to get in 20 overs per side. A few of us hung around after the match was called off and I had a look at the pitch at 5.20pm and it was still wet despite over an hour of good sunshine.”

You must be Registered or to post comment or to vote.

Published August 31, 2011 at 11:06 am (Updated August 31, 2011 at 11:06 am)

Storm brings Cavs’ title chase to halt

What you
Need to
1. For a smooth experience with our commenting system we recommend that you use Internet Explorer 10 or higher, Firefox or Chrome Browsers. Additionally please clear both your browser's cache and cookies - How do I clear my cache and cookies?
2. Please respect the use of this community forum and its users.
3. Any poster that insults, threatens or verbally abuses another member, uses defamatory language, or deliberately disrupts discussions will be banned.
4. Users who violate the Terms of Service or any commenting rules will be banned.
5. Please stay on topic. "Trolling" to incite emotional responses and disrupt conversations will be deleted.
6. To understand further what is and isn't allowed and the actions we may take, please read our Terms of Service
7. To report breaches of the Terms of Service use the flag icon