Seamer Zaid was superb, says Oman manager
Oman manager Jameel Zaid heaped praise on seamer Munis Ansari who was one of the biggest thorns in Bermuda’s side at Sea Breeze Oval yesterday.
The opening bowler produced a devastating spell that yielded superb figures of six for 16 off nine overs that included three maidens to put all batsmen on notice ahead of the World Cricket League Division 3 tournament that starts this Sunday.
“Munis is a wonderful bowler,” Zaid said. “He bowled superbly and we hope that he will continue his form that will definitely give us a good start for the next tournament.”
After restricting Bermuda to a paltry total a middle order collapse during their run chase nearly allowed victory slip through the visitors’ fingers.
“That was a worry for us because our middle order is quite strong and should have done it more comfortably than going to the wire,” Zaid said.
Off-spinner Jacobi Robinson (four for 33) and Janeiro Tucker (two for 13) were the catalyst behind Oman’s batting slump as their nagging line and length took its toll on the visitors’ batsmen.
It was eventually left to lower order pair Syed Ali (32) and Rajesh Ranpura (12) to see Oman safely across the line with nine balls to spare via an unbroken ninth-wicket partnership that ultimately took the sting out of Bermuda’s courageous fightback in the field.
Zaid said yesterday’s win would’ve done the team’s confidence the world of good.
“This win is a morale booster for us,” he added. “We are in a new country and playing against new players and this win will give us a boost ahead of our next game.”
Oman will face Uganda in a 50 overs WCL Division 3 warm up match on Thursday at Sea Breeze Oval.
Interim national cricket coach Arnold Manders declined to speak to
The Royal Gazette following his team’s loss.
2. Please respect the use of this community forum and its users.
3. Any poster that insults, threatens or verbally abuses another member, uses defamatory language, or deliberately disrupts discussions will be banned.
4. Users who violate the Terms of Service or any commenting rules will be banned.
5. Please stay on topic. "Trolling" to incite emotional responses and disrupt conversations will be deleted.
6. To understand further what is and isn't allowed and the actions we may take, please read our Terms of Service