Traffic on Swing Bridge to be reduced to one lane for work to check its condition
Traffic on the Swing Bridge in St George’s will be reduced to one lane temporarily so that the condition of the bridge can be evaluated.
A notice from the Ministry of Public Works stated that a condition assessment and load rating would be carried out on the structure.
“In preparation for the condition assessment fieldwork, scaffolding will be erected around the bridge, starting on December 5,” the notice said.
“It is anticipated that the scaffolding installation works will be completed by February 3.
“Throughout the scaffolding installation period, the Swing Bridge may temporarily be restricted to one-lane traffic to facilitate the bridge scaffolding erection.
“The Ministry of Public Works wishes to encourage the full co-operation of the public and apologises for any inconvenience that may result.”
A request for proposals from the public works ministry issued in February asked for an engineering firm to carry out a “detailed condition assessment” on the Swing Bridge.
Lieutenant-Colonel David Burch, the Minister of Public Works, said earlier this year that $400,000 had been earmarked in this year’s Budget for repair work on the bridge.
However, he said plans to replace the bridge had been moved to the back burner because of the economic challenges faced by the Government.
It was earlier predicted that the two bridges would reach the end of their useful lives in 2021.