Potential Covid exposure at West Pembroke Primary School
Staff and parents at a primary school were alerted yesterday to a potential exposure to the coronavirus.
A letter from the office of the Chief Medical Officer revealed there was a possible risk at West Pembroke Primary School.
It said that the Ministry of Health’s Epidemiology and Surveillance Unit was aware of “a potential Covid-19 exposure” at the school.
The letter said: “The person confirmed with Covid-19 has been isolated.
“The ESU is contacting confirmed close contacts.
“These person(s) are being advised that they must quarantine - stay home from school and other activities - and get tested for Covid-19.”
The letter, dated yesterday, added that a “full assessment” would be carried out and updates would be issued.
West Pembroke Primary reopened to pupils on Monday as public schools returned to in-person learning.
David Burt, the Premier, said on Wednesday that 30 of the island’s 36 public schools had reached the 80 per cent parental consent for saliva testing – the threshold for schools to reopen their gates.
It emerged earlier that four children and one school staff member tested positive for the coronavirus during screening.
The Ministry of Education did not reveal which schools the results came from.
Schools were due to start the new school at the beginning of last month.
But in-person lessons were cancelled only days before classes were scheduled to begin because of a spike in Covid-19 cases.
The Government was contacted for comment.