Opening Pandora’s Box on conduct
Here is my tuppence worth relating to some of the current topics.
Re government ministers falling asleep during debates: for quite some time I recorded House of Assembly debates before they were carried on the radio, and I can tell you, Mr Editor, the way some of the ministers droned on would make anyone sleep.
As a note, Members of both parties would “drop off” especially when a debate continued until early-morning hours.
On one occasion, I think probably a Budget debate began on Friday at about 11am and went on until approximately 6am the next morning. How ridiculous is that.
Believe me, I don't know how I was able to stay awake; I was exhausted.
Re inappropriate comments: who's to say whether any United Bermuda Party/One Bermuda Alliance minister made a sexist remark to a woman.
It certainly wasn't done publicly, nor was it then posted on social media. How stupid could our Minister of National Security be?
I agree with some of the bloggers on The Royal Gazette website that his apology came because he got caught out by his own blunder.
Should he be dismissed from Cabinet? I don't know. I feel he should be returned to the back benches to let him “cool his heels” for a while and “have some of the wind taken out of his sails”.
Re: women's forum: this seems like a good idea to me. However, I would hope it doesn't turn into a “male bashing” forum. Perhaps good things may develop.
Re drug testing for Cabinet ministers: Why not?
Imagine if that certain of our highly placed politicians would indeed test positive for drugs. If so, what would be the next steps?
DORIS M. GOODMAN
2. Please respect the use of this community forum and its users.
3. Any poster that insults, threatens or verbally abuses another member, uses defamatory language, or deliberately disrupts discussions will be banned.
4. Users who violate the Terms of Service or any commenting rules will be banned.
5. Please stay on topic. "Trolling" to incite emotional responses and disrupt conversations will be deleted.
6. To understand further what is and isn't allowed and the actions we may take, please read our Terms of Service