Tips for losing weight and keeping it off
Everyone wants to lose weight — like right this second. However, we know it doesn't happen that way.
When weight loss is quick, it is only temporary. A complete lifestyle change or renovation must occur. For the weight loss to stick, the process must be gradual and not overnight.
To get it right, you must cut back on unhealthy, processed, packaged foods and add in fresh fruits, vegetables, proteins and whole grains.
Increasing your activity level will also speed the process up as well. No amount of cardio can sculpt a sleek physique if you maintain an unhealthy diet.
Try some of these suggestions to help you with your weight loss success.
• Don't skip breakfast. Some people think skipping breakfast will help them to lose weight.
Missing meals doesn't help us lose weight and isn't good for us. It also encourages us to snack more throughout the day because you feel hungry.
• If you are craving an unhealthy snack, try infusing your water with apples and cinnamon.
The taste of cinnamon is stimulating and will keep you satisfied or distract you from having something you didn't plan to eat.
• Try not to eat anything while reading, watching television, talking on the phone or working at your desk.
When we eat while watching TV we lose track of what is actually going in our mouths, which leads to overeating. Have a great meal together without the television. You will find this so relaxing. Turn everything off and focus on your meal.
If you find yourself wanting more to eat, get up and do something else.
• Bring some creativity into the kitchen. Try some different snack recipes or fill a bowl with fruit that you have never tasted. This can be an exciting experience for the whole family.
Nutritious snacks will keep your energy levels up throughout the day.
• When dining out, order the salad first with the dressing on the side. Try only eating half of it if it is not a vinaigrette.
Eat your salad first and it will definitely help to curb your appetite.
• After work, wait for at least 20 minutes before going to the kitchen. This is a big one for everyone.
I find that when I get home I immediately start snacking on anything handy.
Change your route into the house if you have to; maybe go through the garage or back door. Or, better yet, drop the bags and take a quick stroll around the neighbourhood, which would also be a great way to relieve some stress.
There's no easy fix to weight loss but plenty of steps to lead you in the right direction! Keep stepping and B-Active For Life!
• Betty Doyling is a certified fitness trainer and figure competitor with more than a decade of experience. Check her out on Facebook: www.facebook.com/B.ActiveForLife