Three-year road ban for second DUI offence
A 42-year-old man has been struck off the road for three years after being caught drink driving for a second time.
Appearing in Magistrates' Court this morning, Francisco Braga Santo pleaded guilty both to driving while impaired, and driving while the proportion of alcohol in his blood exceeded the legal limit.
Santos was driving a motorcycle along South Road in Devonshire parish on August 2 at 2.30am near the junction of Brighton Hill Road when a police officer saw him swerve across the centre line.
The officer asked the man to put his bike on its stand and said the defendant appeared unsteady on his feet. Asked whether he had been drinking, Santos replied “I have had a few beers”.
Magistrate Tyrone Chin told the defendant that as this was the second time he had committed the offence he would fine him $2,500 and banned him from the road for three years.
In a bid to deter Santos from recommitting in the future, Mr Chin told him that if he were caught a third time, he would face a $5,000 fine and a five year ban from driving all vehicles.
2. Please respect the use of this community forum and its users.
3. Any poster that insults, threatens or verbally abuses another member, uses defamatory language, or deliberately disrupts discussions will be banned.
4. Users who violate the Terms of Service or any commenting rules will be banned.
5. Please stay on topic. "Trolling" to incite emotional responses and disrupt conversations will be deleted.
6. To understand further what is and isn't allowed and the actions we may take, please read our Terms of Service