Log In

Reset Password

Armed robber heading for jail

An armed robber who held up the same restaurant twice at gunpoint is behind bars today facing a lengthy prison sentence.

Tio Weeks targeted Pasta Basta eatery on Elliott Street in Hamilton on March 13, 2016, and then returned to rob the eatery again six months later on September 27.

Just a few days before he raided Pasta Basta for the second time, he held up the Wok Express in Hamilton.

Yesterday, at the Supreme Court arraignments session Weeks pleaded guilty to three counts of robbery and three counts of using a firearm while committing an indictable offence. The court heard that he used an imitation firearm during the first robbery at Pasta Basta, but a real firearm on the second two robberies.

Lawyer Craig Attridge, who represented Weeks during the short hearing, said the 40-year-old Pembroke man wanted to be sentenced as quickly as possible.

Puisne Judge Charles-Etta Simmons remanded Weeks in custody until November 23 when he will be sentenced in the afternoon.

The maximum sentence for robbery is life imprisonment.

In February 2015 The Royal Gazette reported how Weeks was one of a handful of inmates to earn his GED qualification.

At that time, when he was serving two years for a serious assault, Weeks said: “The hardest process for me was settling down into the books and learning again.

“I left school at a very young age and it’s been a long time since I have studied and I had to humble myself.

“But, getting this certificate means a great deal, and it is the first step to many possibilities.”

Meanwhile, also appearing at yesterday’s arraignments session was Anthony Williams, 18, who admitted prowling, aggravated burglary and violently resisting arrest.

Williams was remanded in custody and a sentencing date will be set on December 1.

In an unrelated case Manai Roberts, 27, denied possessing cannabis with intent to supply and possessing more than $23,000, which was the proceeds of criminal conduct. Both offences are alleged to have taken place on August 26, 2016. He was bailed until December 1 when a trial date will be set.

And, finally, Shayne James, 23, pleaded not guilty to handling and discharging a firearm on August 29, 2016. He was released on bail until December 1 when a trial date is set.• It is The Royal Gazette’s policy not to allow comments on stories regarding criminal court cases. As we are legally liable for any slanderous or defamatory comments made on our website, this move is for our protection as well as that of our readers.