Log In

Reset Password

Number of births and deaths recorded on island falls

Walter Roban, the Minister of Home Affairs (Photograph by Akil Simmons)

The number of births and deaths on the island both fell last year, according to data gathered by the Registry-General.

Walter Roban, the Minister of Home Affairs, told the House of Assembly on Friday that the number of births and deaths recorded on the island fell between 2021 and 2023.

A total of 479 people were born in Bermuda last year, a drop of 15 from 2021, while 585 residents died over the course of 2022, a drop of 142 from the previous year.

“There was a decrease of 106 in the estimated resident population at the end of 2022 at 63,542 as opposed to the 63,648 in resident population estimated in 2021,” he said.

“At the end of 2022 there were 2,500 more females than males in the population figures.”

However, the minister noted that the population estimates were based on figures gathered in the 2016 Population and Housing Census.

Mr Roban said of the children born in Bermuda last year, 79.3 per cent had at least one Bermudian parent, while the other 20.7 per cent had two non-Bermudian parents.

He added that the number of weddings on the island had increased year-on-year, in part because of the reduction of Covid-related restrictions on gatherings.

“For the year ending December 31, 2022 there were 336 marriages performed in Bermuda, a 7.3 per cent increase from the 313 marriages recorded in 2021,” he said.

“The increase can be attributed to the relaxation of social gatherings restrictions previously imposed during the Covid-19 pandemic, and the surge in interest of couples wanting to marry that year.

“During 2022 marriages between parties who were both non-residents accounted for only 103, or 30.7 per cent of the total of 336.

“This figure, for the third consecutive year, breaks the trend where marriages between non-residents exceed the number of marriages between residents and marriages between residents and non-resident parties.”

He said 211 marriages were between two people who were both residents of the island, while 22 marriages involved a resident and a non-resident.

Meanwhile, the number of marriages performed on board Bermuda-registered ships surged in 2022 as the cruise industry picked up in the wake of the pandemic.

Mr Roban said that 277 marriages were performed on board 28 Bermuda-registered ships in 2022, an increase of 249, or 889.3 per cent, from the 2021 total of 28.

• To see the full report and the minister’s statement in full, see Related Media.

You must be Registered or to post comment or to vote.

Published November 27, 2023 at 7:51 am (Updated November 27, 2023 at 7:51 am)

Number of births and deaths recorded on island falls

What you
Need to
1. For a smooth experience with our commenting system we recommend that you use Internet Explorer 10 or higher, Firefox or Chrome Browsers. Additionally please clear both your browser's cache and cookies - How do I clear my cache and cookies?
2. Please respect the use of this community forum and its users.
3. Any poster that insults, threatens or verbally abuses another member, uses defamatory language, or deliberately disrupts discussions will be banned.
4. Users who violate the Terms of Service or any commenting rules will be banned.
5. Please stay on topic. "Trolling" to incite emotional responses and disrupt conversations will be deleted.
6. To understand further what is and isn't allowed and the actions we may take, please read our Terms of Service
7. To report breaches of the Terms of Service use the flag icon