Prospect pull out of First Division – The Royal Gazette | Bermuda News, Business, Sports, Events, & Community

Log In

Reset Password
BERMUDA | RSS PODCAST

Prospect pull out of First Division

Prospect United have dropped out of Bermuda Football Association's (BFA) First Division, The Royal Gazette can reveal.

BFA League and Cup Competitions Chairman Cal Blankendal has confirmed that club have withdrawn from the league ahead of the upcoming season due to player shortage.

“Prospect have dropped out of the league for the 2013-14 season,” he said. “They gave us ample notice that they will not be registering a team for this season.”

Asked for reasons why the club pulled out, Blankendal replied: “I think it's just down to the heavy workshift that all the police officers have . . . they are unable to field a team due to the overtime and trying to keep Bermuda safe.

“Their first and foremost duty is to be available for police service at all times.”

Prospect's withdrawal has reduced the First Division to ten teams this season, the same amount that are presently registered in the Premier Division.

Blankendal said Prospect's players had been cleared to transfer to other clubs.

“Their players have been allowed to transfer with no delay because once a team is out of the league the players are free to move around because it is at no fault of their players,” he added.

Blankendal admitted that Prospect would be missed this season.

“From a league standpoint it's always been a pleasure having the police service involved because not only are they police officers, they are also one of the most supportive groups as far as recruiting referees, referee assessors, match commissioners or just being able to police our games with officers that were not on duty at that time making themselves available.

“Prospect are going to be a big miss but we hope that even though they won't be participating in the league they will still make themselves available for any other assignments that the BFA or any other clubs require throughout the season.”

Blankendal hoped Prospect make a speedy return to the football scene.

“We definitely want to work with them if there is anything we can do to assist them returning to our league as soon as possible because they have been an asset for many years.”

Blankendal confirmed that Prospect's field would still host football matches during the upcoming league campaign.

“We still have access to their ground which has allowed other teams to use that facility,” he said.

Meanwhile, Prospect's former First Division rivals Boulevard Blazers have lost the services of coach Derrick (Rocky) Bean for the upcoming season.

Bean resigned from his post and has moved over to nearby North Village Rams where he has been appointed youth technical director and coach of the club's Under -12 team.

You must be Registered or to post comment or to vote.

Published September 05, 2013 at 7:40 pm (Updated September 05, 2013 at 7:40 pm)

Prospect pull out of First Division

What you
Need to
Know
1. For a smooth experience with our commenting system we recommend that you use Internet Explorer 10 or higher, Firefox or Chrome Browsers. Additionally please clear both your browser's cache and cookies - How do I clear my cache and cookies?
2. Please respect the use of this community forum and its users.
3. Any poster that insults, threatens or verbally abuses another member, uses defamatory language, or deliberately disrupts discussions will be banned.
4. Users who violate the Terms of Service or any commenting rules will be banned.
5. Please stay on topic. "Trolling" to incite emotional responses and disrupt conversations will be deleted.
6. To understand further what is and isn't allowed and the actions we may take, please read our Terms of Service
7. To report breaches of the Terms of Service use the flag icon