Log In

Reset Password

Wells ends goal drought for QPR

Finding the gap: Nahki Wells looks on as he pulls a goal back for Queens Park Rangers against Bolton Wanderers at Loftus Road on Saturday. QPR lost 2-1(Photpgraph by Queens Park Rangers)

Nahki Wells ended an ten-game goal drought but could not prevent Queens Park Rangers slumping to a disappointing 2-1 defeat against relegation-threatened Bolton Wanderers at Loftus Road on Saturday.

The match brought together the Sky Bet Championship’s most out-of-form teams of 2019. Before kick-off QPR had mustered just six points, and Bolton seven, since the turn of the year.

Rangers laid siege to the Bolton goal, but it was second-from-bottom Bolton who broke the deadlock after 35 minutes as Will Buckley bundled in from close range.

Bolton stunned the home side with a second when Callum Connolly fired a rebound home after QPR goalkeeper Joe Lumley kept out a Sammy Ameobi drive.

Substitute Wells, who scored for Bermuda in their Concacaf Nations League win away to Dominican Republic last weekend, pulled one back with his ninth goal of the season, placing a shot into the far corner from the edge of the box to give QPR hope with nine minutes remaining.

Despite a late siege, Bolton held on to give their survival hopes a much-needed boost, as QPR slumped to consecutive home defeats to teams in the bottom three.

Bolton stayed second from bottom with their third league win in 15 games, but closed to within five points of safety, while Rangers stayed seventeenth, eight points above the relegation zone after a run of one league win in 15.

“We had 60 per cent possession, 33 crosses, 21 shots — we did enough to win two games of football there. But we didn’t, we conceded two bad goals and that’s our problem, we can’t keep conceding goals,” Steve McClaren, the QPR manager, said.

“I can see and the crowd can see that the effort is there, the endeavour is there, we’re just making mistakes and getting punished for them.

“At the moment we need to score two or three goals to get a result and that puts pressure on the forwards and defenders.”

n Jonté Smith was not included in the Oxford United squad that came from behind to beat Wycombe Wanderers in an incident-packed derby in Sky Bet League One.

Wycombe went in front after 21 minutes when goalkeeper Simon Eastwood completely missed Joe Jacobson’s free kick and, after the ball was helped back in, Adam El-Abd hooked it over the line.

Oxford were level nine minutes later with Jerome Sinclair converting Marcus Browne’s right-wing cross, before Josh Ruffels hit a stunning stoppage-time winner from 25 yards in the 94th minute to snatch a dramatic victory.

n Reggie Lambe was also not included in the Cambridge United match day squad that suffered a heartbreaking 1-0 defeat to Colchester United in League Two.

The the match looking destined for a goalless draw, Kane Vincent-Young’s fabulous strike in the 96th minute, stole all three points for the visiting side.

Cambridge remain 21st in the table, six points clear of the three teams below them in the relegation fight.

n Kacy Milan Butterfield played a full 90 minutes as Kidderminster Harriers went down to a 2-1 defeat away to Altrincham in the Vanarama National League North.

James Jones and an own goal from Ryan Johnson had the home side 2-0 ahead inside 19 minutes before Joe Ironside reduced the deficit after 39 minutes.

n In the same division, Osagi Bascome made his Darlington debut, coming on in the 50th minute, before being replaced in the 73rd, as his new side went down to a 2-0 defeat away to Stockport County.

Adam Thomas put the home side ahead a minute before half-time, before Jordan Keane added the second in the 65th minute. The defeat leaves Darlington in eighteenth position in the table.

n Zeiko Lewis played 84 minutes before being substituted in Charleston Battery’s 1-1 draw away to North Carolina in United Soccer League Eastern Conference. Ian Stevenson put Charleston ahead in the 69th minute, only for Thomas McCabe to level in the 93rd minute.

n Roger Lee played a full 90 minutes in Tallinna Kalev’s 2-0 defeat away to Paide in the Estonian Meistriliiga. The defeat leaves Lee’s side bottom of the table with no points from their opening three league games.