Phillips heading to Little Mo event
Promising tennis player Daniel Phillips will be looking to flex his muscles at next month’s Little Mo International Junior Championships in Colorado Springs, Colorado.
During last year’s Little Mo event in Florida, the Somerset Primary School student claimed glory in the Boys under-eight doubles with Peruvian Ignacio Buse and reached the semi -finals in the singles competition.
This year the youngster hopes to build on his previous achievements.
Phillips’ training regiment has included morning and evening sessions with coach Sammy Maybury as well as yoga sessions to help maintain composure in the heat of battle.
This year Phillips is scheduled to compete in all three Little Mo tournaments to take place in Colorado, New York and Florida.
Next month’s event in Colorado will be held July 3-8 at the US Air Force Academy in Colorado Springs.
The annual tournament is named after late tennis star, Maureen Connolly, who was the first woman to capture the Grand Slam of tennis (Australian Open, French Open, Wimbledon and US Open) prior to her death from cancer in 1968.
She remains the only American and youngest (18) to achieve the extraordinary feat.
In recognition of the 60th anniversary of Connolly winning the Grand Slam, tournament organisers have challenged participants to win the Little Mo Grand Slam which consists of this year’s three tournaments.
Any player achieving the Slam will receive a six-foot tall trophy and the title of Little Mo Grand Slam Champion.
The Little Mo tournaments are for boys and girls aged eight to 12.
2. Please respect the use of this community forum and its users.
3. Any poster that insults, threatens or verbally abuses another member, uses defamatory language, or deliberately disrupts discussions will be banned.
4. Users who violate the Terms of Service or any commenting rules will be banned.
5. Please stay on topic. "Trolling" to incite emotional responses and disrupt conversations will be deleted.
6. To understand further what is and isn't allowed and the actions we may take, please read our Terms of Service