Fairmont Southampton marks 50th anniversary
The Fairmont Southampton was lit up last night to mark 50 years since the hotel first opened its doors.
The hotel welcomed its first guests at a gala event on August 17, 1972.
As part of this week’s anniversary celebrations, the lights in a number of south-facing rooms were turned on to to create a 50 in lights.
Simon Boden, area director of sales and marketing for Fairmont, said: “Despite being temporarily closed, we thought it was a chance to recognise and respect this date.
“We wanted to reflect on some of the important dates related to the hotel and the impact the hotel has had over the years.”
He added that as part of the anniversary the Turtle Hill Golf Club would be offering a range of discounts until Friday, including a number of items available for $50 or 50 per cent off.
The Boundary Sports Bar and Grill will also have special offers to celebrate the event between today and Friday.
“It’s an opportunity for Bermudians to come out and celebrate or reminisce with their friends and family,” he said.
Mr Boden said the hotel’s original opening was celebrated with a massive gala featuring more than a thousand guests including the Premier, the Governor and Frankie Avalon, a famous American actor and singer.
He added that the first guests to stay in the hotel’s 44 suites were given golden keys to keep to mark the occasion.
“There should be 44 of them still around,” he said. “I know from time to time former guests will write or call us to ask about them or say that they found them somewhere.”
Major renovation work on the Fairmont Southampton Resort is expected to start by the end of the year, according to executive Simon Boden.
Mr Boden, the area director of sales and marketing, said that significant progress had been made on pre-construction work and they were hopeful that construction itself would begin before the end of the year.
He was hesitant to estimate when the hotel would reopen but said the public would be kept informed about the progress of the revitalisation project.
Mr Boden added that he believed the project would position the hotel, which has been closed since November 2020, as a major destination on the world stage.
“It will reopen Bermuda back up as an option for a number of groups and organisations,” he said.
“One of the most exciting parts in the project is the beach club. That is what we think will put the hotel on the map, not just locally but also to a wide spectrum of potential visitors.”
Over the ensuring years, he said the hotel hosted guests including the Queen, US president George Bush Sr, Prime Minister Tony Blair and a variety of celebrities.
Mr Boden added that the hotel had also played a significant role in the lives of many Bermudians, from those who attended special events and performances to those who have worked there.
“The really important thing is that many Bermudians have made their careers and supported their families by working in the hotel over the years,” he said.
“The hotel has had a tremendous impact on many people.”